PB groundhog with my 22-250

Eastcoastshooter375

Had been seeing this groundhog for a few weeks but every time I'd try to get set up on him, he'd disappear in the brush. I finally caught him out in the open long enough to squeeze off on him. It's the longest shot i've made with my 22-250, only possible because I upgraded scopes.

Here are the specs:
Remington 788 22-250
Leupold VXII 6-18x40 AO
50gr Nosler BT ~4000 fps
Nosler brass
Fed GM210M

Lasered at 440 yards, I checked the wind, held slightly into the wind and squeezed. I saw it hit, then heard it WHOP as he rolled backwards.

Shot taken from between 2 red barns. Pic taken as I found him. You can see entrance at left chest area and see exit on his back.

upload_2019-7-1_0-44-18.jpeg

upload_2019-7-1_0-38-43.jpeg

Love the long range hunting and shooting, even in the summer. Make the best of it and make the shot count! I hope everyone is having a nice summer!

Tom

That's a great shot, especially have to judge the drop in elevation!

The endearing old .22-250, its still imo the best varmint cartridge around.
I just sold one, then bought another straight away to replace it(upgraded rifle!)
Although my mate recons his .204 is better, when the wind starts blowing he finds it hard to hit his mark further out, that's where the 250 shines over it ;)

Quite a shot. 22-250 rules! short/light bullets fairly explode...but lose velocity over longer ranges. Typical twist is too slow for using heavier bullets.
I just wish there would be a caliber/rifle to take advantage of longer/heavier VLD style bullets.

22-250 tried and true. I will agree with others. IMO the easiest, most accurate, stock cartridge for varmints.
Love the whop comment. One of the most satisfying sounds when shooting varmints.
Good shooting!

upload_2019-7-1_10-18-58.jpeg

Skunk right at 400 yards with 300 win mag 208 gr. ELD. he was facing me. Went
in his chest, out behind his right shoulder, back in in front of right hip, then back out his butt hit twice with one shot guest he was twist

Hit this guy 15 min before slightly over 400 on same sendaro (same gun and bullet type.) Guess skunks are much thinner skinned.

You have to appreciate large caliber efficiency! Just curious with no judging, were these targets of opportunity while hunting larger game or were you actually using your WM to go varmint hunting?
I have often been hunting deer, elk or whatever and have passed on the varmints. I am getting to the point that I may not pass on the varmints.

You have to appreciate large caliber efficiency! Just curious with no judging, were these targets of opportunity while hunting larger game or were you actually using your WM to go varmint hunting?
I have often been hunting deer, elk or whatever and have passed on the varmints. I am getting to the point that I may not pass on the varmints.

Well that weekend in south Texas we were after pigs, javelinas, and coyotes. I got 1 bobcat, 2 javelinas, 4 coyotes, and one skunk (twice). Pigs and javelinas went to the freezer, and the cat to the taxidermist.

(8) with 300wm 208 gr Eld and one of the pigs with a 147 gr eld from a 6.5 cm at about 330 yards.

Just a fun weekend with several opportunities

Quite a shot. 22-250 rules! short/light bullets fairly explode...but lose velocity over longer ranges. Typical twist is too slow for using heavier bullets.
I just wish there would be a caliber/rifle to take advantage of longer/heavier VLD style bullets.
I had my m-70 re-barreled with a Pac-Nor stainless 1 in 8" twist sporter weight tube. Best money I ever spent. 75-grain A-Max is a real killer on everything from p-dogs to deer and pronghorn.

I have two 22-250 rifles. One is an old tang safety Ruger M 77 re-barreled with a stainless Broughton heavy varmint profile with a 1:8 twist. It shoots Berger 70 grain VLD into less than .300 at a hundred all day. It has accounted for several coyotes here at my house, less than 200 yards. I am going to load 70 grain Barnes TTSX bullets for pronghorn in the coming season. I really want to get to the desert and shoot some longer range shots with this rifle.
My second 22-250 is a Browning 78 single shot. I bought it from a friend before he passed away from pancreatic cancer. He sent me with a bunch of reloaded ammo that I have not been to the range with. I do know that is hell on wheels for the coyotes here at the house. Once again, not very long, all the shots have been under two hundred yards. Most of the loads for this gun are 50-55 grain.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.