Payment Questions

MHO

This might be a dumb question, but probably wont be the last dumb question I ever ask. Besides using PayPal, which I have used what is the route of buying something from someone you do not know. How do you keep from getting burned. I appreciate your input.

Not dumb at all, we all have asked that question one time or another.

I try to find out more about that someone, see if there's anyone else that knows him or of him. If in a forum, like for example this site, I check his number of posts, how long he's been a member, if he has had any transaction with another forum member, check a bit about the other member like his number of posts and how long he's also been a member etc... That only cuts down by a nice percentage being burned again but it will never be 100%. My $.02 cents.

I would say the main thing is to have positive feedback on the person you're dealing with. Also, use some common sense and don't buy something on a forum or other internet site that you can buy all day from a well known reputable store for the same or only a little more money. I see people throwing out stupid prices on things all the time and people actually buy them.

I've bought things that weren't as advertised or a complete fraud four times that I can remember over the years but never ended up losing money on any of them because:

1. The person was afraid of me giving them negative feedback on eBay on a couple on not as advertised items. That was back in the day where one NEVER, even after a year, lost negative feedback. Unfortunately eBay went to a more seller friendly model where negative feedback is dropped after a year.

2. The case that was a complete fraud was a purchase made on eBay but, after several weeks, my payment was refunded because I had used Pay Pal. That individual tried to get me to wire money to a bank account rather than make a Pay Pal payment. The moral of the story is to know the auction site and Pay Pal rules. It is against the rules to buy guns with Pay Pal so if you have a bad gun deal, they won't help you.

3. I got a couple of things not as advertised the seller wouldn't make good on but the price I paid was low enough that I was able to resell them for what I paid even though I disclosed all the defects in the merchandise.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.