Parts for 243 almost all in - first build

Bluesman

New Member sort of. I've been surfing here for quite a while but never posted. I'm another predator caller\varmint hunter caught between the field and the bench. I've been reloading and tuning my factory .224s for years and now finally working on a build. All my other rifles are .17s, swifts, .222s, a few .30s and the like but I'm building a .243 for the longer range capability. I'm really excited about this rifle coming together. So far:

Rem 700 SA SS - in hand
Timney #: 517-16 - in hand
Broughton 6mm 1-8', 5.75-26 contour - in hand
Manners T5A Elite Shell w/Terry Cross Adj CP, GAP camo - waiting
HS Precision Gen2 bottom metal - in hand
Nightforce NXS 5.5 - 22 x 56 w/NP1 reticle - in hand
Redding Competition Type S bushing dies, and FL bushing die - in hand
'smith will be Greg Tanel
I'm planning to start with a brake threaded the same as the surpressor I will eventually get down the road.

Putting together dummy rounds now with 105 Berger VLD Hunting for deer and longer range fun. Planning to also try the 95 VLDs. And of course some of the lighter projectiles for coyotes, etc.

Should be shipping components and dummy rounds to GreTan in about 3-4 weeks.

Thanks to all of you guys for sharing your shooting and reloading experiences on this board. You've helped me a great deal and you make me study harder.

JB in NC

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.