ordered parts for first build!

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by japple, Jul 14, 2010.

1. japple

japple Well-Known Member

Well I broke down today and started ordering parts for my first custom build.

Lawton 8000 action
    Lawton .375 barrel 1.6-1.125 straight taper w/ 11.5 twist

WIll be talking to Joel russo (hopefully soon about a stock).

Well enough rambling, I was just excited and a little nervous about this so I thought I would share!

John

2. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Sweet!! I was just down at Lawtons and picked up a barrel so I fondled a couple 8000 series, sure got the mind to spinning.
    Whatch ya making, Snipetac maybe :D

3. japple

japple Well-Known Member

Snipetac?!?! I think you might have something there! LOL :D. Called PT&G about the reamers and my moms Boyfriend has a lathe and mill as well for me to do the work on! I am going to build this myself with his help before I head off to school! I am pretty excited about this! Maybe have a bit of a head start on Trinidad by the time I get there!

4. japple

japple Well-Known Member

you guys have any advice for a stock, I am thinking a A3-5 style probably a laminate.
    what you think?

5. GNERGY

GNERGY Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2010
  6. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I've been drooling all over my computer looking at Russo's work. The first one on this page does it for me!!!! Stock Styles
    I'm sure you need no link and likely you know the exact one I'm talking about. :D

7. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

japple, check out the 7th stock down on this link...that's one heck of a laminate stock...not mine but, certainly nice. Joel does some amazing work with wood. I'm having an A-5 done out of a chuck of 2 1/2" thick curly maple. I think with laminates it's all about color selections. Personally I prefer something along the lines of black/brown or black/dark blue, don't care much for the yellows, reds or greens. Enjoy the build.

http://www.russoriflestocks.com/Photos.html

8. shortgrass

shortgrass Well-Known Member

I'd have waited 'till I started GS school before ordering. The instructors just might know something you don't. Instead of looking for someone to make a stock for you, you would be learning to make it yourself. Your 'serial numbered part' could have been shipped right to the school for transfer to you. While I was in school most companies would sell to students for wholesale and some gave better deals than wholesale!(they want your business later on) Chances are, the school will have the reamer and gages and you won't have to buy them yourself, right away.