Parent case alternative for 260

trickytune

I have been looking for more brass to make 260 rem and believe my normal options to be 243, 260, 7mm08 and 308. But have found 6.5x55 and 6.5x52 Carcano new brass very reasonable pricing. Are either of these an option? Or are there any other options to look for? I have checked the SAAMI drawings but I'm not sure what is an option.

You have listed all the obvious choices. I don't believe either the 6.5x55 or 6.5x52 will work. The 6.5x55 is larger diameter and the 6.5x52 is smaller. Look at the drawings in your reloading manual and check cartridges with the same diameters.

No the 6.5 cases you mentioned will not work. Stick with the 243 Win necked up and you will have the proper length case and NO donuts. If you need a cheap way to get a tapered expander just get a LEE FL 260 Rem. sizer die. It has a good tapered expander rod in it. Just run a 243 Win case in it and you have a perfect 260 Rem case.

Brass prices have gone crazy lately.

Count yourself lucky if your prices have only been affected lately. We've been without Winchester and Remington brass for the last two - three years at least.

Here in the US, Winchester and Remington are refusing to produce brass for reloaders and are only willing to bring loaded ammunition to market because of the higher profit margin.

That has left us, the reloaders, with choices of Lapua and Norma for high quality brass at significantly higher prices than what you're seeing. But in some situations this has proven to be a wise choice since Lapua brass can be reloaded more times than either the Winchester or Remington brass. Costs more, lasts longer.

I've been adding new Lapua brass as I can afford it and I probably won't go back to Win/Rem even when they do release brass only. Screw 'em!

Regards.

I think I have the best solution. I found a 243 second hand for $200 its a bit rough but I can buy Norma 100g ammo for $36 a packet and PPU for $19 and then make the used brass into 260. My solution works under the buy more guns theory.

I think I have the best solution. I found a 243 second hand for $200 its a bit rough but I can buy Norma 100g ammo for $36 a packet and PPU for $19 and then make the used brass into 260. My solution works under the buy more guns theory.

:D:D:D
gotta use that one on my Wife when she says I have enough already... But honey, I NEED this rifle to fire factories to make brass for that rifle...

Or you could just put the $200 towards brass for the 260. Or why not just buy factory ammo for the 260? I'm all for having more rifles, but Butch's shows Winchester 243 brass in stock if you're set on making 260 from it.

Winchester Brass- 243 Winchester - Butch's Reloading

If your main concern is saving $ I would bite the bullet and buy Lapua brass. I have not tried necked up or down Winchester brass but the Remington and Nosler versions all get me like 4 to 6 reloads. I have some Lapua that is on its 12th firing and primer pockets are still good. Out of about 300pc's I purchased I had to pitch about 6 after 10 firings.

All in all IMO quality and economics are more favorable with that scenario.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I was using old Winchester brand 308 brass and necking that down for quite some time but have since switched to Lapua. I am able to find once fired 308 Lapua brass for .40 to .50 cents apiece pretty regularly and without much trouble. I use a neck sizing die and size down to 7mm-08 then FL size it to .260. If you go this route, be advised that Lapua brass is a bit thicker than most from what I can tell so you may have to neck turn. That's what I have to do. Its a bit of a hassle but worth it to me because of the savings and it goes pretty fast once you figure out what works best for you.

As a fellow Ozzie, the cheapest solution actually sounds like the dearer option, but isn't so.
When component brass becomes hard to get, just buy the cheapest Remingtom ammo, shoot it and recycle the brass for reloading. Remington brass is good stuff, once prepped, and will last many reloads. It is normally cheaper than most, but if you like PPU, then just huy that. I didn't like it in my 22-250.
This is what I do.
To the other posters, being from Australia, we cannot buy brass in the US, they won't export to Australia, unfortunately.

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.