Parallax question AO or not.

ol mike

Hey guys ,

I'm deciding on a scope for my 221 fireball calling rifle and need some imput.

I guess most scopes such as the tipical 3 x 9 have the parallax set at 100 yd .
I put an old redfield 3 x 9 on a pellet rifle and was suprised at the amount of parallax error at 30 yds.
If you shoot at 300 yds is the parallax off dramatically as it was up close?
I have a 4.5 x 14 zeiss on the gun right now and am thinking about moving it to my 22-250 thats being rebarreled.So what are your opinions on a none adjustable objective for a varmint/predator rifle?
Thinking about a bushnell w/firefly reticle. Thanks Mike

Just my opinion,
If you are making a carry around gun that may need to make a quick shot under a variety of ranges, I go wituout the AO and practice getting a consistant cheek weld to try and reduce the amount of misalignment between my eye and the scope.

For a dedicated LRH / Varmint rifle where ranges are longer and you have more time, I use it.

And yes, there is more difference the closer you are. Look at a scope with AO and it will usually have markings for approximate ranges (the word approximate being a gross understatement!). The may be at 20, 30, 50, 100, 200 and infinity.

I use AO's and if I am giong shoot quick such as calling varmints I set it 100 to 200 andleave it for these quick shots for longer shot with more time I adjust the AO just gives more versatility

I have a lightweight walking varminter in .221FB. I put a Leupold 3x9 Compact (non-AO)scope on the rifle and have made kills out to 365yds without noticing any optical problems.

I exclusively shoot 40gr Ballistic Tips (moly) @ 3,600 ft/sec propelled by a small quantity of Lil'Gun. Grondhogs HATE this load. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I had Premier Reticle put a 300yd-350yd & 400yd dot on a fine crosshair so that I didn't really have to deal with holdover. Works great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Leupold sets their parallax at 150 yds as the standard. It can be changed to another distance for $15.00 at the factory. Most Europeann scopes like Swarovski are set for 100 meters (must not shoot as far in Europe in most situations). These too can be reset at the factory to another distance. If you have a good weld spot, parallax not as much of a problem. Remember, no parallax in the optical center regardless of distance, only occurs when you are off center.

Thanks for the imput guys !

I think i'll get an inexpensive bushnell elite 3200 in 3x9 firefly. If for some reason i don't like it on the fireball it'll make a good scope on a 22 mag i have.
The reticle is pretty heavy which would be a plus for a calling gun ,but a minus for praire dogs.
My brother has one on a muzzleloader and for $197 the price is right.
I've missed some nice shots due to not being able to see the reticle ,i think this will help.

Varmint Hunter these little 221's are just unbelievable aren't they !Every gun guy should have one ,quiet ,very accurate and a great killer for predators/varmints. Thanks again Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts