Parallax for Sheep Rig

ramrod79

Guys I am not trying to start a rant here just looking for some honest opinions, I have new lightweight sheep rig , the max I intend to shoot with it is 600yards closer if possible , what are your thoughts do I really need to have parallax adjustment. I do have a long range rig that has a scope with PA for shooting out to 800+yards, but this outfit is heavy ,and intended for shooting across the valley,and oh yes targets so a guy has time to set up with it . Guys the reason I ask is that I have a new Leupold 6-18x40 AO that I could put on my new sheep rig, but now that I have a new found love for Vortex I would like to put a 2.5-10x44 on my sheep rig as this scope has the best of both worlds, I can dial ,and I have a BDC reticle although it is 2 OZ heavier I do like the Vortex better , BUT it does not have PA on it. Your thoughts guys would be greatly appreciated .

Man I ran into the same conundrum. People are going to tell you you need a monster scope, those people have not hiked for sheep or goat most likely. I actually purchased the vortex, liked the features. Then I found the leupold Mark AR line. I am a mil/mil shooter and this fit the bill in a 6x18 in the 1 inch tube I wanted. I don't feel I gave up anything optics wise, plus I lost some weight and picked up magnification.

I here you maybe I should just put a CDS dial or M1 TURRET on the scope I have , and call it a day , but being as this is a gun i only need to shoot to site in and then use way up in the MNTS still thinking of the Vortex with out the AO on it on less thing to deal with , but 600 yards is a big shot but I have shot 600 before with out AO , I really only need to hit a 20 x 20 inch square so I do have wiggle room.

If you are a accomplished shooter and can achieve the same cheek weld with a rifle that fits each shot the parallax adjustment becomes less important. I don't backpack hunt any more (to tired)and now use a Vortex HS scope with the adjuster that replaced the 3.5-10 Leupold. In my opinion when one starts shooting beyond 400 yards and the conditions are crude like laying over a rock pile to make the shot parallax adjustment becomes important.

If 600 yds is your limit - no parallax is necessary for a game animal the size of a sheep.

I agree with Paul. The max parallax error at 10X for a 44 mm scope is about 3" at 600 yds. That assumes a 100 yd focus and bright daylight (small eye pupil). Your eye would have to be at the outer edge of the exit pupil. That's unlikely if you train yourself to automatically center your eye behind the scope. With a little training, the parallax error would probably be less than 1".

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.