P-dogs in the Dakota's !

Frank7mm

Planning a trip for the summer and would like to go to the Dakota's either north or south to do some p-dog hunting. Can anyone suggest a outfitter or farmer in or near Mt Rushmore?(semi-family vacation also) Is a licence required for p-dogs? Thanks

Yes you will need a non resident license,40 buck's I think. Start your search on SD GF&P's
website, there you can print off a map of PD density and plan your trip accordingly.
On the Rosebud Reservation you will have to hire a guide at a 100 buck's a day(last year).
Be warned! Have heard of many horror stories when it comes to the Rosebud.

I'd call the GF&P in Pierre, they will know very well which land owners are having
PD problem's. Good bunch of people there and they should be able to get you on some barrel burning dogtowns with out costing a fortune.
Good Hunting!

The reservations have a lot of prarie dogs but they are generally really bad news. I don't know about a guide requirement for PD's on the Res. but if there is it should be a deal breaker. If there isn't there are non-native landowners.

Frank7mm: The last time I Hunted Prairie Dogs in the Dakotas there was also a need for a "Reservation Hunting Permit" issued by the tribal authorities on a couple of the reservations I Hunted.
Money was involved but I forget how much.
Good luck and drive careful!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I just read on another site that the rosebub was poisioned.......that post said the outfitter was returning his deposit as well as all others. might want to look else where.

I was out by Wood,SD this weekend we found quite a few pd's.But it rained so much we couldn't get back on the second day! Give this lady a call she can fix you up,she has 2 houses she rents out also.
Eileen Larson 605-452-3212

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.