Overall length issues

35whelen375

Hi guys/gals, I received my new 35 Whelen barrel not long ago, the gun shoots great, I have been using Buffalo bore 225 TSX- average muzzle velocity is 2730, I broke out my reloading stuff after years of sitting and found my overall length is way over maximum by the books, wondering if that is OK or will I experience shorter barrel life. I uploaded a video to give you a visual.

any help would we great.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The overall length of your cartridge will have no effect on barrel life, the only issue is whether the bullet is in contact with the rifling or not and, how far from the rifling it actually is.
What is listed by SAAMI and some manuals is not law and can vary between manufacturers, it's the throat length that governs the COAL, so yours may be just right.
Hope this helps.

Cheers.
gun)

I agree, don't worry about OAL. My target loads are set way too long so as they seat on the rifling while chambered. While my hunting loads are 10thou off of the rifling.
If your loads cycle, and you are happy with your accuracy and there are no signs of excessive preasure your inboard

Do your reloads fit within the metal magazine? AND...do your reloads chamber WITHOUT driving the slugs deep into the rifelings??

If the answer is yes to both...then let it Rip Van Winkle...and load her up good

hi and thanks for the answers so far, the gun is a break action TC prohunter, with Bullberry barrel. the 225 grain TSX can actually sit at half of the neck case itself, is when it touches, I tried it with the same 250 grain speer and same issue, it shoots fine jumping or seated at books specs OAL, it just had me wondering how much burning of a new barrel and how far actually you could seat a bullet out while still being safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.