Outlaw Sling Review By Troy Adams

As I said above I would not recommend it to wear over a backpack.

Cut off the excess sling material, that's what I did after i decided how long to leave it.

Over a full sized back pack the sling may become a problem, but over a day pack as is shown in Gary's photos it's really not a problem at all. I can wear it over my Dana Design day pack without any worries. The straps have to be left long for people to set things up they way they want, pretty easy to cut them off, velcro or tape them off. Simple fix to a non complex problem.

We want a picture! :)

Len:
Here's pics of my 308 on my back. Loaded and wth the bipod it's over 13lbs. The Outlaw Sling makes it easy to carry this rifle. With the quick release buckles on each strap, it's easy to get into and out of.

Thanks to my cousin for taking the pics and downloading them out of his cell phone.

sling1.jpg

sling2.jpg

slingside1.jpg

slingside2.jpg

For details on the rifle....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-308-1k-rifle-evolution-continues-43510/

Does anyone know whether the Outlaw Sling on LRH Gear Shop an updaqted model with the Quick Releases on the end of the lower straps? Thanks!

I'm a cross country skier. I'll be on skis chasing coyotes this winter, at night. A backpack is mandatory for extra clothing, hot coffee, food, etc. My big strong German Shepherd/Rottweiler coyote dog can't hump the rifle for me, as he will be staring down and eventually charging the coyotes when he sees them, taking attention away from me (otherwise, I'd make him carry some load, but he needs his mobility and his constant running around takes attention away from me).

I have an old LL Bean rucksack that they sold as a fishing backpack at least a decade ago. It had side storage to hold fly rod tubes. You can stick a slim stocked rifle muzzle down on either side, and a tall shooting bipod opposite the rifle. Of course, ski poles are the classic bipod for a skiing hunter, or hunting skier as the case may be, so no need for a dedicated bipod unless a nonskier/snowshoer wanted to try this.

While this new sling under consideration will work well for some, skiers with packs need the rifle in the pack, where it can be immediately grabbed. I carry my rifle with the buttstock over my right shoulder. I can take my right hand and grab the buttstock, pull the rifle over my shoulder, grab the forestock with my left hand as the rifle slides over my right shoulder, turn the rifle muzzle forward, load a round, and have the rifle up to shoulder for firing in 3 seconds. Probably faster than this sling under consideration. I can also pop both quick release shoulder buckles and waist buckle and drop the pack immediately, but I usually pop one shoulder buckle and swing off the pack. The waist buckle will already be loosened in the serious hunting zone. The pack also serves as a shooting rest, which the sling under consideration cannot do.

This method is safe if you fall, you will not blow off your head with a chambered round. Could conceivably shoot your leg or foot. I don't normally carry a chambered round. A skier on a hill has advantage over game in deep snow. As long as he can ski downhill, he might be faster. You need a quick drop to knee and grab the rifle and shoot when in range. Like a fighter pilot, an altitude advantage in snow should be exploited as altitude = speed.

As for walking with a heavy rifle, I think the Safari Sling is the best there is. In military rifles it is known as the Patrol Carry sling. Much faster to get off a quick shot that with a rifle slung behind the shoulder. Doesn't matter if you are wearing a pack or not. BUT, it doesn't work with skis if you are using ski poles. Would work great with snowshoes and no poles. Also, it's a good idea to get to a distant location using skis, then use snowshoes for the hunt. This is best in heavily forested areas. I don't pack snowshoes, just shuffle on the skis when walking slow. Western forests are too open to necessitate snowshoes in most cases, and snowshoes are too slow to travel western distances in most cases. But in the east, a Safari Sling and snowshoes would work in the forests. You can respond immediately if attacked by a predator with a Safari Sling, a feature not lost on Afriican hunters and probably why it got its name.

I use the Outlaw sling on my varmint rifle and I really like it. I agree with what Troy says. They distribute the weight better than the conventional one sided sling. When varmint hunting, you're always carrying several things, e-call, seat, and sometimes even a shotgun and the Outlaw sling leaves both hands free for carrying these things. Also you're not constantly putting your sling back on your shoulder as it slides off. I have fallen almost flat on my face while waking to a stand and my rifle stayed right on my back. With a regular one sided strap it probably would have come off and it or the scope or both would have slammed into the ground. That could ruin a good hunt besides causing a bunch of bad words! Gary has fixed the ends that go through the slings and they're not to hard to put on. I think most people already have slings on their guns so, just switch the straps. I just leave it on my rifle. The straps are left long so they can be adjusted to fit over a back pack. And they will fit over a backpack. They work good for riding a four wheeler too. Just adjust one strap shorter so your rifle hangs at an angle on your back. If you don't want to use it with a back pack just cut the extra strap length off after you get it adjusted to fit your self. The velcro is a good idea too or you can just wrap some tape around them to keep them from flapping. I think they're well worth owning.
Bob
Idaho Varmint Hunters

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.