OTM vs VLD any suggestions

mike 300 wsm

Just Placed my order for 185 OTM bullets and now wondering if I made the rite purchase or not any help guys I am try to get the best out of my 300 wsm with out killing my shoulder or my rifling, thought about 210's VLD hybrid but don't know berger tech support even said i could run 230's through her but I don't know my berger reloading manual is in the mail... I have been shooting 168 SMK at 5" groups at 500 yards it was kind of a hard switch from sierra too berger but figured i would try it any how love hunting and shooting steel and paper targets... my gun is a Savage model 12 1-10 twist 26" barrel scoped with leupold mark 4 1" min elevation .5 min wind 10 powered fixed... Any one want to advise me on how to shoot it 1000 too 1600 yrds?

Just Placed my order for 185 OTM bullets and now wondering if I made the rite purchase or not any help guys I am try to get the best out of my 300 wsm with out killing my shoulder or my rifling, thought about 210's VLD hybrid but don't know berger tech support even said i could run 230's through her but I don't know my berger reloading manual is in the mail... I have been shooting 168 SMK at 5" groups at 500 yards it was kind of a hard switch from sierra too berger but figured i would try it any how love hunting and shooting steel and paper targets... my gun is a Savage model 12 1-10 twist 26" barrel scoped with leupold mark 4 1" min elevation .5 min wind 10 powered fixed... Any one want to advise me on how to shoot it 1000 too 1600 yrds?

I am going to try the new hornady eld series. They have better published bc's than the bergers. The 208 ELD(.670) has a better bc than that 210 vld berger (.631) They are also alot cheaper... I have some 200gr eld-x bullets loaded up to test behind reloder 19, I just have to go test them. The only problem I see right now, is that they are brand new, and they do not have alot of load data for them yet.

luke

I would definitely use the 215 as noted in http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/300-wsm-1000-yrd-reloading-data-168062/ and highly consider Berger's suggestion in using the 230s.

As far as shooting it up to 1600 yards, it does NOT happen overnight but PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE all aspects of precision reloading, equipment, and shooting skills, etc., will get you closer. As vague as it may sound, you will find out during the learning process.

Most will try to get there quick but I say enjoy the learning process and you will be just fine and will appreciate your shooting experience better.

Good luck and happy safe shooting. Cheers!

Ed

I would definitely use the 215 as noted in http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/300-wsm-1000-yrd-reloading-data-168062/ and highly consider Berger's suggestion in using the 230s.

As far as shooting it up to 1600 yards, it does NOT happen overnight but PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE all aspects of precision reloading, equipment, and shooting skills, etc., will get you closer. As vague as it may sound, you will find out during the learning process.

Most will try to get there quick but I say enjoy the learning process and you will be just fine and will appreciate your shooting experience better.

Good luck and happy safe shooting. Cheers!

Ed

That is excellent advice, I know reaching 1600 is winging it with the 300 wsm but hey its fun rite and besides who out of us long rang shooters don't love a challenge... I have the drive and the range to work at it I don't suppose I'll get their over night but life is about the journey... SO Sierra or Berrger which do suggest?

That is excellent advice, I know reaching 1600 is winging it with the 300 wsm but hey its fun rite and besides who out of us long rang shooters don't love a challenge... I have the drive and the range to work at it I don't suppose I'll get their over night but life is about the journey... SO Sierra or Berrger which do suggest?

Check this out >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVMCBEe0E_4

My personal preference is the Berger.

my gun is a Savage model 12 1-10 twist 26" barrel scoped with leupold mark 4 1" min elevation .5 min wind 10 powered fixed... Any one want to advise me on how to shoot it 1000 too 1600 yrds?

Those are nice rifles. If it still has the laminated stock, I would bed it. It will tighten the groups. Or maybe switch the stock to an aluminum bedded HS Precision.

Those are nice rifles. If it still has the laminated stock, I would bed it. It will tighten the groups. Or maybe switch the stock to an aluminum bedded HS Precision.
its wood stocked thought about switching it though but it looks so nice... You suggest an aluminum bedded HS Precision. where would be a good place to purchase one?

Attachments

• model 12.jpg
    model 12.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 130
its wood stocked thought about switching it though but it looks so nice... You suggest an aluminum bedded HS Precision. where would be a good place to purchase one?

You can find good used ones in the classifieds here from time to time. Just keep an eye open. I have the same rifle. The laminated stock does look great. I believe it is a Boyds stock. Just bedding the laminated stock will work wonders as it will firm up and square up the area right behind the recoil lug where the lug meets wood. I mentioned the HS Precision as an option, if you didn't want to bed the wood stock.

Here's what my Model 12 300 WSM look like in a HS Precision stock.

Attachments

• 300 wsm.jpg
    300 wsm.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 126
You can find good used ones in the classifieds here from time to time. Just keep an eye open. I have the same rifle. The laminated stock does look great. I believe it is a Boyds stock. Just bedding the laminated stock will work wonders as it will firm up and square up the area right behind the recoil lug where the lug meets wood. I mentioned the HS Precision as an option, if you didn't want to bed the wood stock.

Here's what my Model 12 300 WSM look like in a HS Precision stock.

Very nice, what pet load do you use? what scope do you use thought about switching to something a little higher in magnification and smaller increments on turret like 1/8 or 1/4 what do you suggest?

I wouldn't use a 1/8 MOA turret for hunting. They take a lot of turret turning to get somewhere and they limit the elevation you can dial. 1/4 MOA is about perfect.

The scope is a Vortex PST 6-24x50 SPF. They are pretty popular for long range shooting. Burris is also making some great long range scopes these days with lots of good reviews. Sightron III series scopes are also popular, especially for target shooting. Then you get into the higher end stuff like Nightforce or Vortex Razors. The higher end is not a necessity but have exceptional glass which makes them a joy to use.
I actually do a lot of my long range shooting at 8-10x. I like the larger field of view, so I can spot my shots and get back on the target quickly if needed. The higher mag is good for sighting in the rifle and working up loads though.

I shoot the 180 Ballistic tips, 210 VLD, and 208 Amax in this rifle. Here's a pic of a target with the load for the 180 Ballistic tip.

Attachments

• IMG_20131204_103526.jpg
    IMG_20131204_103526.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 109
I wouldn't use a 1/8 MOA turret for hunting. They take a lot of turret turning to get somewhere and they limit the elevation you can dial. 1/4 MOA is about perfect.

The scope is a Vortex PST 6-24x50 SPF. They are pretty popular for long range shooting. Burris is also making some great long range scopes these days with lots of good reviews. Sightron III series scopes are also popular, especially for target shooting. Then you get into the higher end stuff like Nightforce or Vortex Razors. The higher end is not a necessity but have exceptional glass which makes them a joy to use.
I actually do a lot of my long range shooting at 8-10x. I like the larger field of view, so I can spot my shots and get back on the target quickly if needed. The higher mag is good for sighting in the rifle and working up loads though.

I shoot the 180 Ballistic tips, 210 VLD, and 208 Amax in this rifle. Here's a pic of a target with the load for the 180 Ballistic tip.

Spectacular shoot group at what ranges were you shooting groups like that at?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts