Other uses for trekking poles

You can stake them up with guy lines and make a clothes line in the sun away from the shade of trees to dry wet clothes etc...

If you use a spotting scope you can modify the hiking poles to use as a tripod. You need a 3rd pole. Stole some parts from the cheap vortex tripod that was flimsy. It is very stable and I now have a spare hiking pole and all of it weighs about the same as the original tripod. Can post pics if anyone is intersted.

I use my trekking poles for ski poles. No, sorry, I use my ski poles for trekking poles. Some seriously good ideas for them in this thread. Glad I read it. Bet you could make a pretty good blow gun, if you had too.

I use mine as a tent pole for my tarp and testing the depth of water when doing river crossings.

Rob

All of the above plus - the most I use mine for other than what they were intended is to use as a mono pole to rest my binocs on while glassing. Easy to adjust and allows me to glass for hours with no arm/neck fatigue.

All of the above plus - the most I use mine for other than what they were intended is to use as a mono pole to rest my binocs on while glassing. Easy to adjust and allows me to glass for hours with no arm/neck fatigue.

Why the hell didn't I ever think of this?!? Thanks Cowboy!

+1 on this.I actually have a trekking pole that has a cork gallon top that threads off and the stud fits a bono mount or camera. I can also use the trekking as a sick to mount my go pro for videoing my self while walking or hunting.

Most of the time I use a tripod for my binos however.

Mainly I use mine as you do, for saving my knees on descents and helping my legs on ascents.
Then there's the line from "Animal Farm" I use regarding trekking poles and stream crossings:
"Four legs good, two legs bad."

But creative uses abound as we have seen above. However I have some cautions about trekking pole use

BAD uses for trekking poles:

1. holding pots over a fire
2. stirring food
3. stirring wasp nests
4. poking bears, snakes, mountain lions, sleeping hiking companions, animal scat
5. spear fishing
6. gigging frogs
7. stirring coals in a camp fire
8. skewering meat to roast on a fire
9. prodding one's spouse for ANY reason other than to save their life.
AND #10 -> propping up your scoped rifle when not in use (A good scope is a terrible thing to waste)

Found a new use for my trekking poles last week. Unfortunately for me I worked out my calves too had and need to use a trekking pole as a cane for a day just to walk around. Ha talk about a bone head move. Someone please remind me that I can't work out like I'm in my 20s.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.