Oregon- Malheur River Unit # 66 for mule deer.

ash1055

Hey Everybody,

I am thinking of putting in for a mule deer tag in eastern Oregon unit 66. I have 10 preference points so should be no trouble drawing the unit.

Does anyone have any advice or information on whether this would be a good hunt?

Any information appreciated.

Thanks

STOP!
STOP!!!
STOP!!!!!!
That would be a mistake!
The last time I looked the Malheur River unit took 1 point to guarantee a tag.
You have already waited ten years to build 10 points.
There are some real nice bucks in that unit. As most big bucks they avoid getting killed by hanging out on private land, or going where you won't.
What are you looking for in a mule deer hunt? Terrain, trophy quality, solitude, trees/desert,?

I live in the Malheur River unit - THERE ARE MORE TAGS GIVEN FOR THE UNIT THAN THERE ARE BUCKS TO SHOOT. I WOULDN'T APPLY FOR THE UNIT WITH 0 POINTS!

OK, Guess I should rephrase the question. I have 10 preference points for deer in Oregon. What would be the best unit to hunt. .I would like to get a nice sized deer i.e. not a forked horn.
I would prefer to hunt the high desert region. A unit with a higher success rate.

I have an co-worker who has assured me Malhuer river would be a great hunt. They have hunted there "for generations".

I have been bow hunting up in Pine Creek unit for a number of years so am familiar with the NE region .

I was just starting with my inquiries here on the board to find where to go.

Yes I am from Oregon. I have not hunted in 5-6 years do to personal injuries and taking care of aging parents.
I appreciate any help or suggestions.

Ash,
I'm not saying that you wouldn't have a good hunt in that unit. What I'm saying is that you can use your points to hunt a unit with less competition and better opportunity. When I get a chance I'll PM you some info.

In my honest opinion, I don't feel that there is a unit in the state worth 10 points. That said, what does a guy do with 'em? I guess that's the million dollar question. I'm not sure how many points it takes to draw the late season hunts (i.e. whitehorse), but I think with the right weather they may be decent.

I'd probably be looking at rut hunts east. The Juniper muzzleloader might be a good one as well. I wasn't overall impressed with the trout creek hunt when I went over there archery hunting, but once in a while they kill toads over there.
Good luck on your hunt!

I would put in for the mt Emily late season tag. I'm right there with you in points also. Good luck.

+2
I've got 9 points.
I'd look hard at Mt. Emily big buck hunt. (late hunt)
White River has a big buck hunt as well, but not as many top caliber bucks.
I'm probably gonna just go in as a party leader, for a bunch of buds who don't have any points, & put in for somewhere back home in Baker County, or Buelah by Westfall, or Unity that's not too hard to draw. I'm SICK AND TIRED of not drawing. I'm done hunting Oregon if I fail to draw for a 10th year in a row! I'll send an ever so impolite letter to ODFW, & take my $ to Montana, or Idaho!
Ya, I'm a little bitter....:cool:
Good luck in the draw

Im an avid hunter of big mule deer and I've lived, hunted, trapped and ranched in the mt Emily unit for over 30 years and I would not waste my time driving up to hunt mulies, rut or not.
I have not seen or heard of a big buck(180+) come from that hunt or the earlier hunts in years.

I don't think it's the Indians. I don't agree with what they are allowed to do, but they were doing it 50 years ago and maybe worse back then, because alot more of them used to hunt back then

It's not loss of habitat either, there is a hundred thousand canyons and side draws up there full of timber and brush and open grassy hillsides. Winter and summer range for 15k or more deer

It's not the wolves, the deer were gone before the wolves got there

That leaves lions. Year after year of several thousand does getting ate and that's what happened to all the deer

Just my opinion

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.