Optics?

As for the eye relief getting shorter on LER scopes when you crank up the power this happens with ALL of them. It is not all that much though, maybe 3 or 4" at the most. I really like my Weaver 2.5-8X28 scopes. I have three of them on Contender barrels that I have used for years with NO PROBLEMS. They are clear and sharp and once I have zeroed them they have not needed being touched. I have them on a 10" 357 mag, 14" 6mm-225 Win (Wildcat caliber) and a 14" 30-30AI (Wildcat caliber). I have hunted hard with these and they have never let me down. Mounts are really important also. I use Weaver STEEL rings with Weaver bases and use BLUE locktight on the screws.

I was pretty much sold on the 3-12x burris but several people have stated that at 12x the eye relief is down to about 9" which I feel is going to be difficult to shoot and I'd start worrying about recoil with the creedmoor at that proximity.

Reading up on the Bushnell elite, it has a continuous eye relief through the 2-6x but I really feel like it's just too small on the power side.

Any suggestions or advice for me?

There are three scopes that have slightly higher power in my price range: Weaver and Nikon 2.5-8x and the Burris 2-7x. The weaver has a 14" eye relief at 8x whereas the others have about 10".

Last edited:
9 inches is plenty of distance.

Hey Ernie, tried calling you a few times this week but couldn't get ahold of you. I'm a nurse and 12 hour shifts generally go to 13-14 and this week I've worked 5 straight so I was calling later than I wanted. Hope it wasn't a problem.

I'm just nervous about this. The only real recoiling encore barrel I have is a 460, and that I want as far away from me as I can get..lol. I can't see bringing this close into me especially without a break. I wish I could find one locally to hold it and get a feel for it but there's nothing like that here.

I'll take your word for it and stick to my plan with the Burris 3-12. I really want the extra magnification if I can swing it and that scope is very positively reviewed.

I know I have messages on my voicemail that i have not even listed to yet. I have been away from the phone (lan line) more than normal.
If you didn't leave a message, please do with your number.

You can go back and read my post on the Weaver scope. Also take into account the recoil of a Encore pistol. It usually is muzzle flip up not back like a rifle does. You Encore weight is quite a bit more than my Contenders and I am shooting a 30-30AI and I doubt that the 6.5 you are talking about has any more recoil than it does and the 30-30AI just flips the muzzle up about 6" with almost no backward movement with a very soft one hand grip from a rested forearm on a sandbag.

RT, with your 8x weaver what distances do you feel comfortable shooting deer sized game? I can get one of them for half the price of a 3-12 burris, money isn't everything but where it can be saved I'd like to.

Clarity wise I haven't read a bad thing about either scope. Same goes for their ability to handle recoil.

Thank you guys for your patience and help.

I have not shot a deer over 120 yards with any of my Weaver scoped pistols because that is really close to as far as I can see where I usually hunt with these pistols on a logging road between two cut overs. I would feel comfortable shooting deer to 300 or so yards as far as sight picture goes. The only limitation that I find with pistol scopes is the light gathering ability early and late in the day. In my experience using Leupold, Burris, Tassco and Weaver over the years is that you loose an average 10 to 15 minutes early and late on being able to see your cross hairs over what you can see with a rifle type scope. This is mainly due to smaller tube and objective size and cross hair style. But I do need to qualify that on rifles I usually use Zeiss and Meopta 3-12X56 30MM tube rifle scopes with Heavy type cross hairs and you can see well past dark30 with these. :D With Leupold 3-9X50 1" tube scope it would be closer to 5 to 10 minutes difference. I also chose the first Weaver 2.5-8x28 I got for the price. I bought two more because of the quality and how they work for me. As for only being 8 power I used to use a Burris intermediate eye relief straight 8 power scope on a 14" 223 Rem Contender to groundhog hunt. Killed a number in the 300 to 400 yard range with no problems. This was the highest power scope you could get back in 1980s for use on a non breaked pistol.

GByrd,

Shot this group at 200 yards off a bipod with a 2.5-8 Leupold LER scope on an XP-100 that I had just put together. Killed a black bear with it a week later at 277 yards. Was down a dark hillside and I had no problem finding him in the scope, and picking my spot on his shoulder. -Could have shot him a lot farther if that had been the case. The best advice I can give you would be to practice as much as you can with what ever scope you should choose out to the max range that you expect to shoot. There's no substitute for good shot placement. With time, you will find that locating your target in a pistol scope will become more natural. There is a learning curve to it just like everything else.:D

I have a Bushnell 3200 2-6 w/firefly reticle that is really nice in dark timber, or at those last few minutes of shooting light. It sits on top of my TC Contender 7 TCU Super 14 barrel.

I don't own one of the Weaver scopes, but I have heard good reviews of them.

The Leupold does have brighter, better contrast glass than the Bushnell or Burris scopes. The eye relief remains fairly constant too throughout the power range. -I still really like my 3200's and Burris scopes...

Obviously, the LER scopes don't have the light gathering ability nor the field of view of a rifle scope, but without putting a brake on your 6.5 CM your options are somewhat limited.

-Mike

Last edited:
I have taken mule deer and antelope beyond 400 yards with a 4x fixed and 2-7 LER.
The magnification isn't going to be the issue for distances you have in mind.
Decide what you want and then get want you want.
In the end, what one guy likes or dislikes, may or may not be what you enjoy.

RT, with your 8x weaver what distances do you feel comfortable shooting deer sized game? I can get one of them for half the price of a 3-12 burris, money isn't everything but where it can be saved I'd like to.

Clarity wise I haven't read a bad thing about either scope. Same goes for their ability to handle recoil.

Thank you guys for your patience and help.

Thank you guys for the advice. Its very encouraging and those are some very fine groups for that power of scope.

The reason for the back and forth and being so unsure is that i really have nothing to go off of and am really pulling all that i can from people whove used a good variety of whats out there to make my decision. I really dont want to buy something and regret it too much down the road.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.