Optics question

Good evening ya'll...jumping on this late and I realize the OP already made his purchase. While I was reading the post I was thinking about one I have on my Midway Wish List. It's the Vortex Viper HS, but is 4-16x44 with side focus. It's also SFP. Anyone with experience with this one? I'd think it'd reach out past his intended range and on sale for $300. Any thoughts about it?

I did look hard at that one as well but Im almost certain for the majority of this scopes life I will have more shots inside of 100 yards than I will have outside of 400. That's what ultimately sealed the deal for me. But I would love to hear from those with more experience about this scope.

Thanks for the suggestion. Honestly, what did people do before forums like this? So much experience and knowledge packed into one place.

I have a question that will show just how much of a newb I am. I got my scope and the rings and it seems much clearer and much brighter than the scope I had on. The rings that came with the scope are the vortex pro 3mm rings. The rings don't fit my gun. The vortex rings are too big for my gun and it's not close. Do I need new rings? A base? Both? What will be the best solution? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Probably need new bases... What bases, rings, and scope did you have mounted?
Another option is to could call Vortex. They have good customer service and can probably get you going

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.