Optics question

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by BikerRN, Sep 1, 2011.

1. BikerRN

BikerRN Member

I'm considering two "new-fangled" scopes for my .300 WM build and wanted to get some input before I plunk down my hard earned money.

To start with, I really like my EO Tech on my AR, and favor Red Dot sights. With that said I was looking at the Leupold VX R in 4-12 x 40 or 4-12 x 50 and the Trijicon Accupoint in either a 3-9 x 40 or a 5-20 x 50.

My shooting distance will be 200 - 700 Yards on game and I'm looking for one scope to put on this build to last the life of the gun. Right now I'm using a 4-12 x 40, but not an illuminated reticule or red dot type. I'm leaning towards the Trijicon because it has the post and triangle over the crosshairs. It seems a much more less complex arrangement and I often find myself getting lost in the scope.

Thank you in advance for your help and I look forward to what input you have.

Biker

2. The Surgeon

The Surgeon Well-Known Member

3-9x44. Unless you are going with a 30mm tube the 50mm objective is overkill. A 1" tube will not give you the full benefit of the 50mm obj.