Opinions/Recommendations on 338 RUM vs 375 H&H

timeless61

okay, here goes, I wanted a recommendation or any comments on what I should do...

Currently, I have a 338 Hart, its a 300 RUM necked up, like the edge, 32" barrel, it weighs around 17 lbs shoots very well, its not going anywhere, I am keeping it.

I also have a 700 BDL SS DM in 30-06, again, not going anywhere,

I also have a Savage Model 12 VLP in 300 wsm, I had it before the 338, so now, it serves no purpose for me, as I never got that much better than the 30-06 velocity wise and it is nowhere near the 338

anyway, I am looking to trade it in or sell it, and get either a 375 H&H or a 338 RUM I chose those 2 calibers as the 375 just has history and I would use it if I go to Alaska or Africa, the 338 RUM basically because I was considering a 338 Win mag already, but I have everything except brass for the 338 RUM because of the 338 Hart.

so I am looking for opinions, also, if I get the 338 it will get the 4.5-14x50 thats on the 300 WSM right now, if I get the 375, I will probably get a 3-9 or something in that range or 2-7, so that is an added expense to buying a new scope. I guess I could sell the 4.5-14 if I go the 375 route and get a new scope for that, and maybe even one for the 30-06 that just has a Vari-x II 3-9.

right this second, the gun will not really be used for anything in particular just general hunting, deer and bear and maybe elk, more of a toy/backup for the toy part i like the 375 but for practicality i like the 338

also, neither gun will have a brake, 338 win mag out of a light gun does not bother me, no recoil really has, 12 gauge magnum turkey loads don't bother me either...

any recommendations or opinions or question for me to ponder?

thanks in advance

I skipped over the .338's and went from a .30 cal. to a .358STA and then a .375-.358STA for short range hunting years ago. Now I mostly shoot a .416 Rem. As far as ballistics are concerned a .338 RUM is far superior to a H&H but there is something to be said for large caliber bullets when knock down is concerned. You might consider a .375RUM, a .375 JRS (.375-8mm mag), or a .375 Ruger also.

thanks, i looked at the ruger somewhat, but do not like the rifle as much, the winchester's in 416 or 458 or 375 are nice, but very hard to come by.

the 375 rum does not really seem to be chambered anymore

I am sort of thinking the 338 may be better for now, then if I want something bigger, skip the 375 and go 416 most likely or 458...

I forgot to mention, this will be a factory rifle most likely

Gun Broker has a few new .375RUM's.

Remington 700 XCR II 375RUM BLK : Other Rifles at GunBroker.com

REM 84532 700 XCR II 375RUM OD REMINGTON ARMS CO G : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

It's relatively easy to have a H&H re-chambered to a .375JRS or .375 Weatherby. My .375-.358STA, which is close to the same as a JRS or Weatherby, shoots 250gr Sierra's at 3080fps in a 27" barrel. I've shot 4 or 5 elk with it plus 2 of us used it in Africa for 8 animals and out of them all only one of the elk made it more than 5-10. I shot my Kudu at 515yds,1 elk was over 500yds, and another was around 650yds.

Personally I would do the 375 h&h. My buddy runs one for his primary elk gun and it puts them on the ground pretty good. Recoil wise I don't find it near as unpleasant at the 338 rum or his 458 win. The rum is probably my least favorite. All three are factory non braked rifles.

Personally I would do the 375 h&h. My buddy runs one for his primary elk gun and it puts them on the ground pretty good. Recoil wise I don't find it near as unpleasant at the 338 rum or his 458 win. The rum is probably my least favorite. All three are factory non braked rifles.
Washington votes 375 H&H! We have plenty of Elk country where it's tough to beat. Besides a properly stocked safe needs at least one 375 H&H!

I'd go for the 375H&H. Anything else in addition to what you already own for practical purposes may be hair splitting on domestic game. I've owned a 375 for over 25 years, been to Africa a few times, and shot everything from impala to cape buffalo with it. Very manageable recoil, extremely accurate(.5MOA), deadly on everything, easy to reload, and a trajectory comparable to a 30-06. Mine has had the same 3x9 Leupold with slick German detachable scope mounts since I got it. It's an Interarms Whitwoth Expreess Rifle. Returns to exact zero between open and glass sights. Shoots 270 gr. expanding, or 300 grain solids for the really big stuff with no sight change. Don't go too heavy on rifle weight. You don't need it and it destroys the perfect balance and versatility you can achieve with the rifle. It's as perfect an elk, moose, or big bear rifle as you could get.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.