Opinions on turkey chokes

Trickymissfit

I have a Mossberg 835, and I also have several full and extra full choke tubes for it, plus a facotory choke tube. Kinda been thinking about trying a new tube in it, but have not reached a decision on which one. I shoot mostly fours and fives in 3" and 3.5" rounds, but have been thinking about trying twos lately. Any body here have some good recommendations for a new tube?
thanks in advance
gary

Try the extra full before you go out and buy a new choke thats a pretty good choke as it is, but if you have to spend money try an undertaker or a jellyhead.

I shoot a Jeelyhead out to 50yds with 4s and 5s, and my buddy shoots an undertaker out of his 835 and loves it.

Have you thought about going smaller to 6s or 7s in HTL? If you considered shooing Hevi-Shot, Winchester Xtended Range, Hevi-13, or ITX Extreme Turkey Trauma-13, you can extend your range and there is a formula you can follow to pick a choke.

The Mossberg 835 has a larger bore diameter relative to other shotgun models. Here are some examples:

12 Gauge ____________ Bore Diameter
Beretta/Benelli___________.723
Remington______________.729
Invector________________.729
Invector Plus ____________.743
Mossberg 835/935________.775

The larger your bore is, the larger your choke diameter generally needs to be. Some choke companies have chosen certain niches for their products. Pure Gold chokes normally come in one size (.670). They are likely to be the optimal diameter for the larger bore diameters. Another well known company, Indian Creek, tends to make most chokes in .665 diameter, and would be most appropriate for the mid-range bore diameters.

Primos, Nitro, and H-13 make specific choke diameters that are aligned with the bore diameter of the shotgun model. Here are some examples:

Bore_______________ H-13 _____Rhino_____Primos
Beretta/Benelli________.656______.660________.660
Invector_____________.662______.660________.660
Remington___________.662______.660_________.660
Invector Plus _________.664_______.670________.670
Mossberg 835/935_____.676_______.695________.690

My feeling is that it is more important to look for the optimal choke diameter than a certain brand, but the most popular brands are generally of the best quality.

Try the extra full before you go out and buy a new choke thats a pretty good choke as it is, but if you have to spend money try an undertaker or a jellyhead.

I shoot a Jeelyhead out to 50yds with 4s and 5s, and my buddy shoots an undertaker out of his 835 and loves it.

The factory turkey choke shoots XX mags very well (and I do mean VERY). Have shot 3" and 2 3/4" ones thru it, but have not looked to see if Winchester even does a 3 1/2" hull in the XX mag. It shot the old Actives better than anything. I'll order in a Jellyhead this weekend. I like their design, but doubt the ports will help recoil all that much. (really isn't that bad anyway)

just a note:
I loaned my 835 to what I will be become my future son inlaw. Between he and his two sons (16 and 10), they dropped three turkeys in two days. The first one would go about 24lb., and the second one had a 10" beard. Don't know much about the third one. Expect they are out in the bush as I write this. I'm proud of all of them, and my turn is next week! He said that he'd never shot a turkey gun that shot that well. I told him it was all in the barrel design. The shotgun as a rifle scope on it (1x-4x), but have an Aimpoint waiting to be installed. I like the scope, but wanted something a little more lower in power with a bigger tube. I'll hunt down at their place next spring, as well as Kentucky and Indiana. It's not upland bird hunting for sure, but it's very addictive.
gary

Have you thought about going smaller to 6s or 7s in HTL? If you considered shooing Hevi-Shot, Winchester Xtended Range, Hevi-13, or ITX Extreme Turkey Trauma-13, you can extend your range and there is a formula you can follow to pick a choke.

The Mossberg 835 has a larger bore diameter relative to other shotgun models. Here are some examples:

12 Gauge ____________ Bore Diameter
Beretta/Benelli___________.723
Remington______________.729
Invector________________.729
Invector Plus ____________.743
Mossberg 835/935________.775

The larger your bore is, the larger your choke diameter generally needs to be. Some choke companies have chosen certain niches for their products. Pure Gold chokes normally come in one size (.670). They are likely to be the optimal diameter for the larger bore diameters. Another well known company, Indian Creek, tends to make most chokes in .665 diameter, and would be most appropriate for the mid-range bore diameters.

Primos, Nitro, and H-13 make specific choke diameters that are aligned with the bore diameter of the shotgun model. Here are some examples:

Bore_______________ H-13 _____Rhino_____Primos
Beretta/Benelli________.656______.660________.660
Invector_____________.662______.660________.660
Remington___________.662______.660_________.660
Invector Plus _________.664_______.670________.670
Mossberg 835/935_____.676_______.695________.690

My feeling is that it is more important to look for the optimal choke diameter than a certain brand, but the most popular brands are generally of the best quality.

I read somewhere that the .676 diameter choke was about right for a back bored 12 gauge. How accurate that statement was I don't know for sure, but it makes sense. Seems like I'm using one that is about .665 right now (been awhile since I measured it), and works very well with 3" XX mags in fours and fives. Sixes and smaller are not leagle here, so I have to take that into account, and I kinda want to try twos. I'll have to visit some of these web sites to see what they offer.

thanks for the help from all of you.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.