Opinions on the consistency of weights of bullets

Longcruise

Just got done weighing some .224 bullets. Ten of each three brands and three different weights. So I'm wondering what y'all consider acceptable ranges as in ES, SD and average weights.

That small, maybe 0.1gn either side of listed weight?

If these were 300gn .338s I'd allow a full 1% of up to 0.3gn, but the .224s are so tiny 1% would be less than 0.1gn and beyond the capability of most scales to resolve.

Type also matters. The BC of a Partition is somewhere between "brick" and "brick wall", so I wouldn't sweat a variance there. If this was a Berger Match Hybrid it had better be less than 0.1gn because that's what I'm paying for with the premium for the fancy yellow box.

The only gun I ever weighed bullets (pellets) for was my PCP. Nope didnt make any difference at all. I know its a big thing in the bench rest guys just didn't matter enough for what I do with it. It can still kill starlings and Doves first shot hits at 75 yards. If a person wants to split hairs five times thats awesome, and to some I split hairs so it is all relative.

I have never seen a difference on target until the weight difference was more than .5g.
I have seen more deviation from CBTO differences and obviously blustery head/tail winds.

Cheers.

I've found Berger and Sierra very consistent. Seems the higher end bullets are more consistent which is the way it should be considering you should get what you pay for. Noticed a correlation with length in these bullets. I'm sure the Hammer and other super-premium bullets are very consisten, but I don't have enough experience with them to comment.

Sierra had a guge problem with consistency years ago. I had one box that varied .017 Sierra did not believe me and I sent it to Rich there. Toured their factory about 4 years ago. One operator, one machine, one lot no other bullets go into that lot and that person is only one that works that machine. Other shifts have their own machines. They really tightened up.

Depends on the brand, berger I might sort 500 bullets and segregate 20ish outliers that have weights outside the normal esentially a "flier" in wieght.
Noslers usually they mix production lines in one box, so there will be two definite weight groups in a box. I sort a batch of them into 2-3 groups and end up with more outlier bullets. Foulers, plinkers or impact testing with those. The nosler groups would prob each be a 1gr window.

I don't weigh bullets I've got better things to do with my time. I normally just look for a load that gives me low teens or single digit SD's depending on if I'm shooting a semi auto or bolt gun.

I'm back. The holiday took up more of my time than I expected. All worthwhile and good times.

Here's some of the numbers I came up with:

55 grain Nosler bullet #39526

Avg weight 54.94
ES: .60
SD: .16
High: 55.20

Sierra 60 grain HP FB #1375

Avg weight: 60.00
ES: .80
SD: .27
High: 60.40
Low: 59.60

This is the first time I have weighed any modern projectiles so I don't have any idea how good this is or how much this might effect accuracy.