opinion of 220 swift bullets

ackiddblast

I have a 220 swift rem. sendero. I would like to know yalls opinion on bullet selection. I'm not for sure the rate of twist, but i would like to try some 90 gr. Bergers or the barnes triple shock. I am currently shooting the v-max with 4064, which shoots quite well, but I would hate to shoot a deer w/ this setup. Does anyone have any big game loads they are willing to share?

thanks in advance

andy

Kid, I have never hunted a deer with a 22 caliber before, however, if I were to use a 22 cal., the 220 Swift would be my pick. Regarding bullets, I've only used V-MAX and Nosler Ballistic Tips in my Swift. I know Nosler makes a 60grn Partition, I would say this might be your best choice.

Wildcat

+1

If I were to load my .22-250 for deer, you can bet the 53gr Barnes would be at the top of a short list of choices.

If I had the twist to shoot something lengthier, I'd consider a heavier X, or some of the heavy Wildcats, were I twisted that steep.

Kid,
I have shot deer and antelope both with the 55 grain ballistic tip and they both went down with one shot. One was a heart shot on deer at 250. The antelope was further, a double lung. The bullet performed well in my opinion, both times. I DO NOT make this a practice with this cartridge/bullet. The times this happened I was hunting coyote and had the doe tags for each and the perfect shots presented itself. I must say though I was impressed with the performance. Big holes in the coyotes but good terminal performance on the deer/antelope.
My only experience with the Barnes triple shock is in 7mm. If the 22's perform as the 7 did I would opt for that bullet.

A buddy of mine has been shooting whitetails for many years with his 22-250. Personally, it wouldn't be my choice but he has killed many deer and claims to have killed every single one of them without a single loss. He uses a 53gr Barnes X bullet, exclusively. He also sais that most of them drop to the shot and that he has NEVER recovered a bullet, getting complete pass throughs every time.

In a standard twist .224 barrel the Barnes may be hard to beat. I tried the original 53gr X bullets in my 22-250 and couldn't get them to group worth crap. However, the TSX bullets are MUCH easier to load for. I just haven't tried the .224" TSX's yet.

I've witnessed and saw plenty deer come down by 55g btips out of 223-22-250's. They never lost any deer shot with them either. Most simply dropped in there tracks. I think the farthest was a forky shot around 450 yards 220 swift 55g btip at 3900fps, and it dropped like it had been shot with any 25-06 or 270. If you pick your shots carefully and place the bullet in the chest cavity, they'll kill deer just as well as any other calibers.

I have always figured to shoot the largest rifle i have that i can comfortably shoot well and that is adequate to still make the one shot kill even if it is not the perfect shot. i know too may guys who had to pass up on big bucks or bulls because the perfect shot did not offer itself. The 220 swift with nearly any bullet will kill any deer if the shot placement is good and you don't hit any big bones. The better the bullet the better the chance of a bad shot still killing the animal. THe barnes x bullet would be my choice.

Kid this a stock rifle right? No way is a stock BBL going to have a twist fast enough to stablize a long missle like a 90gr 224 bullet. You'd need a 1 in 7. Hey you came to the right place to ask.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.