Opinions on the 7 STW?

IMHO--some say it's real fast--some cant' get much more than 75fps over a 7 mag. It's alot of powder for a 7mm hole. Personally I think the 300 wby or 300 rum will give way more down range energy with about the same amount of powder. Some people love the 7mm....some love 30 caliber.
I happen to be the latter but you may be the 7mm guy. I went to the range the other night with my buddy and his new 7wsm. I was impressed as we were clocking 3050 with factory federal partitions 160 gr. out of his new BAR autoloader.
I'm kinda thinking if I was heading back to a 7mm, that WSM in a nice lightwt rig like a tikka t-3 would be a real winner in my book.

[ QUOTE ]
What is the consensus on this cartridge?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been shooting mine for about 10 years. It makes a 7mm rem mag look like a piece of junk. I had a 24 inch 700 rem 7 mag and when it's loaded to the point of blowing the primers and leaking around the belt it doesn't come within 200 fps of my 28 inch STW without any pressure signs.

So the extra speed and long case life makes the 7mm STW just a pleasure to shoot. I nearly exclusively shoot 175 SBT's and I have never even had an Elk stop this round.

I was reading on the Best of the West sight where they describe the equipment tha they use. They say they use a .284 WRP. He says it is similiar to the 7 mm STW. He mentioned that the 7mm STW does not lend itself to good accuracy because of its geometry? Just wondering what ya'lls opinion is on this?

There are MANY great shooting 7STW's out there, so I don't buy into the "bad geometry" claim. Actually, one of my reloading manuals talks about the surprising accuracy of the 7STW.

I shoot a custom 700 with a 26" Hart barrel. I can get significantly more velocity than I did from my 7 Rem mag and the accuracy is terrific. Although I have shot a few groups in the .1's, it will regularely shoot .5 moa @ 200yds.

A few days ago I shot the 7STW at a 400yds, in anticipation of a longrange pronghorn hunt scheduled for this weekend. I recently had Leupold put their new "varmint reticle" in my 6.5x20 scope and was curious to see how well it would work out with this cartridge. Using the 400yd horizontal wire, I fired 3 rounds from a cold, clean barrel and then walked down to the target to see exactly where the bullets had hit. All 3 bullet holes were just 1" below the point of aim and clustered into 1.6". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Can the 7STW shoot? In a quality built rifle, it sure can. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
They say they use a .284 WRP. He says it is similiar to the 7 mm STW. He mentioned that the 7mm STW does not lend itself to good accuracy because of its geometry? Just wondering what ya'lls opinion is on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think John Burns needs to get off the crack is what I think. I have not seen a 7mm STW that would not shoot period. It is a Very Accurate round and does go a lot faster then 7mm mag at least 250fps from what I have found. As for a 30 cal being better I do not agree with that either. I also will say the big 7 has less recoil even when bullet weights are the same when compared to a 300 win. I have added some targets you can look at.
That is 3 shots at 100 yards with a 200grain Wilcat.
321606.jpg

Same bullet at 320 yards the dot I was shooting at is 2inches.
323113.jpg

Here are a couple of more 100 yard targets.
This is a Barnes 140 TSX 3 shots.
324090.jpg

Here are 160 Sierra HPBT 3 shots.
324091.JPG

The last one is with me shooting 140 Accubonds of a bipod in the snow with no rear bag at 500 yards. 3 shots as well.

324089.JPG

Budlight that is good to know about that 175 Sierra. I have a cow Elk hunt coming up in December and was thinking about using that bullet but I am a little leary because I know Sierra's have a tendency to come a part when hitting some hard. How fast are you driving them and have you hit bone on any of your shots?

With sierra 175 loaded to just under 3100 fps is a very accurate load. You have to understand that I have a custom 7stw. I can shoot of the shelf rounds. But it's fire forming them. My shoulder angle is steeper and the body longer. It hold about 4-5 grains more powder. That and the 28 inch barrel give it an edge with the R-25 and H-1000 powders.

Out of the two bulls taken the bullets both past through. one facing at sub 200 yards. Hit it low in the throat and it blew a silver dollar size hole out it's butt cheek. The other was paced off at 320 yards. classic H/L shot hit a rib on center on the input side and two shatered on the output side. It was dead standing and never really moved. it stood there thinking about what was that and just fell over after a 5-7 second delay. so no energy was even imparted on it

What does the STW stand for? How does the case construction and geometry compare or differ from from a 7mm Rem Ultra Mag? Thanks!

The 7mm STW, or 7mm Shooting Times Westerner was originally a wildcat designed in 1989 by Layne Simpson, a gun writer for Shooting Times magazine. The design includes a slight decrease in body taper, compared to the original 8mm Remington Magnum case. Throat design was also changed to include a straight section. This improves accuracy potential. The 7mm STW was adopted as a SAAMI cartridge about 1996. The 7mm STW has impressive velocity potential and can deliver good ballistics with a variety of bullets and powders.

Thanks for the info BudLight I am shooting those Sierra's a little over 3100 fps. From your results I think I will use them.

Developed by layne simpson in 1988 I think, he was an editor for shooting times mag so it was dubbed the 7mm shooting times westerner.It was legitmised in 1997. it is simply an 8mm Rem mag necked down, and blown out slightly. It was designed to give you all the performance possible at the time from a 700 mag action And John burns 284 WRP is exacly the same dimensions as an STW with a different throat.
JS

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts