Opinions on Rebarreling a Rem. 25/06?

If it has a 26-inch barrel, rechamber it to .257 Wby Mag. Easy work for a competent gunsmith. Cheers
Even though this is a 13 year old thread....
.25-06 Rem is a .473" standard bolt face and .257 Wby is a magnum .532" bolt face. So not as easy as a simple rebarrel or rechamber. You would need either a new bolt or open the face up. And rechambering a .25-06 Rem barrel with "thousands of rounds" doesn't make much sense, especially when the OP said it already does not shoot as good as it used to. That barrel was toast.

I knew the bolt face was different and barrel has to be worn out so a complete re-barrel would be in order.
If you were in the op's position what would you re-barrel it to?

Even though this is a 13 year old thread....
.25-06 Rem is a .473" standard bolt face and .257 Wby is a magnum .532" bolt face. So not as easy as a simple rebarrel or rechamber. You would need either a new bolt or open the face up. And rechambering a .25-06 Rem barrel with "thousands of rounds" doesn't make much sense, especially when the OP said it already does not shoot as good as it used to. That barrel was toast.
I see your point and reasoning, but... if he set the barrel back a few thousand to take up much of throat erosion and get into a little of the lands and grooves, where barrels really go south most of the time... and open the bolt face up to .532" at the same time adding a Sako style extractor, I think he'd have a very nice field rifle in .257 Wby Mag, keeping the cost down for the most part. Just my 0.2 Cheers

If you are already reloading for it a fast twist .25-06 makes sense. I wouldn't AI if you're already reloading, no need to buy new dies. I'd probably send the rifle and new barrel off to Chad Dixon at Long Rifles Inc. and do his (GROUP BUY). It seems like this is a pretty popular way to do M700 rifles with a lot of highly satisfied customers.

I knew the bolt face was different and barrel has to be worn out so a complete re-barrel would be in order.
If you were in the op's position what would you re-barrel it to?
A fast twist '06 based AI in:
1:7.5" .25-06AI and run the 133 or 135 Berger
1:7.5" 6.5-06AI and run the 156 Berger
1:8.5" .280AI and run the 175 Elite