Opinions on Leupold LR Reticle

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by heiner39, Sep 9, 2008.

1. heiner39

heiner39 Member

I am currently looking at a Leupold VX-II with the LR reticle. I don't know anything about this reticle so I'm just throwing it out here to see if anyone has/is using it and what their opinions are.

Thanks in advance.

2. Ernie

Ernie <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

heiner,
    I would prefer the varmint hunter reticle over the the LR reticle myself.
    i have not owned a Leupy with the LR reticle but I do have/had the TMR's & VHR's

3. heiner39

heiner39 Member

I should probably specify that I'd be using it for big game hunting and possibly some long range target.

4. Ernie

Ernie <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

I still prefer the VHR over the Boone & Crocket or the LR reticle, even for big game.

In fact, I have a 4.5-14 with the VHR and its primary purpose is big game hunting

5. Nvhunter

Nvhunter Well-Known Member

Heiner39,

I cannot speak on the LR function of the Leupold as I have a Boone and Crockett Rectile on a VX-III 4.5X14 40mm.

However - I can state that stepping up to the VX-III from the VX-II is a good decision. I have a shooting partner that has a VX-II 50 mm installed on his 7mm Ultra Mag. We tested the VX-III 40mm side by side with his VX-II 50mm and the VX-II won hands down on all accounts. We were judging clarity, low light visibility and color contrast. Hands down the 40mm won against the 50 mm. If you can afford it, I suggest saving up for the VX-III in whatever rectile you choose.

Those results make me wonder how well the quality is on the VX-III 50mm which is the scope I am saving for to place on my SAKO 75 7STWgun)

6. sscoyote

sscoyote Well-Known Member

Call the local gun stores and see who has the latest Leupold catalog, or check it out on-line. That'll give u all the info u'll need for it. I like the simplicity of the LR reticle for on-game use, but i also prefer the VHR for long-range work due to the more direct windage reference. The LR reticle has different stadia subtensions depending on which power range u get, but it should be excellent for on-game intermediate-range work.

7. CS T

CS T Official LRH Sponsor

We ordered a scope with the LR reticle to test out.

Mike @ CSGW

8. sscoyote

sscoyote Well-Known Member

Have to correct an error above--all the vertical stadia points are the same below the x-hair axis for each model--2-7,3-9,and 4-12. They are 2.19, 4.8, 7.82 MOA at the highest power of each model. The windage (plex post tips) are different for each model tho.

9. Alan Griffith

Alan Griffith Well-Known Member

I purchased a CZ550 American in 9.3x62 last spring for my Alaska Grizzly hunt which occured last month. I put the VXII 2-7x33 w/ LR reticle on it. I love it! The big 286 gr Nosler Partitions have a .482 bc, which is good but still at 2300 to 2500 fps are not lazer flat. Thus, I knew I wasn't going to be shooting at anything over 430 yds due to Nosler's suggested 1900 minimum impact speed. My 2500 fps velocity dictated 430 yds would be my max range. I didn't intend to shoot a bear at that distance unless he was wounded and was showing his south side to me as he was heading north. If that were to happen, I knew things would happen real fast and their wouldn't be time to crank turrets.

So, I put my zero at 214 yds with a MPBR of 251 yds. My first dot would hit at 284 and second dot at 358. If things were going to hell in a hand basket PDQ, the top of the bottom post would be on at 435 yds.

I ended up shooting a BIG moose at 15 yds w/ my Ruger Blackhawk in 45 LC. The CZ did kill a spike elk a few weeks ago at 300 yds and is now on it's way to a new owner in TX who will take it to Africa. I did keep the VXII 2-7 to put on my daughters Rem 700 in 260 Rem. She's new to this and this will keep it simple for her.

Since I bought a twin to her Rem 700 CDL SF the other day, I'm looking for a simple scope with a BDC reticle to put on mine. Thus my discovering this thread.