• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Opinions on Laminated Thumbhole stock

I have 1 aluminum block rifle that I added a detach mag (not a Wyatt). slight filing was needed to fit through the mag well, nothing major.

My muzzleloader has a laminated TH stock on it. Handles nice, shoots nice. Have to pull thumb out to work the safety. Or learn to use the trigger finger?

Thanks for you'r input! I have never had problems with the safety on my custom Thumbhole 338/378, I was wondering if you just had to file away some material to get something to fit. Other than reciecer work

Aluminum is easy to remove yourself. Also almost any machine shop with a manual mill could do the work for you and give a great result. The only thing they would need is some padding or soft jaws on the vice that clamps it into their mill. If you open the aluminum up yourself you will want to use either grinding lubricant or candle wax on the cutting tool. Just push the candle or grinding lubricant into the cutting tool like you are removing stock material. It will coat the tool and prevent the aluminum from sticking to it and plugging it up. Do this a lot. as soon as the tool starts to feel "sticky" or aluminum sticks to it. I hope this helps because that stock looks like it would make a real nice one for you.