Opinions on current rule for Classified posting

No offense to anyone but you can impose your own standards as already mentioned. If you want 300 posts and 10 positive seller transactions, you sure can impose that on yourself. Might miss a few deals, but probably won't get scammed. Just saying. There is a level of self-awareness required. I'm not defending these scum bags but I have yet to be scammed on 100 plus forums transactions, I have missed out on a few deals. I am in favor of upping the standards a bit for what that's worth.

Buyer beware vs. seller beware; both parties must have two-way communication, clear understanding, and mutual agreement to make a successful transaction. I do not have a high trading history but only deal with outstanding members with positive feedback.

1705493206129.png

Last edited:
I to don't have a high trade history but with one post I've got atleast two scammers . Echo018 was one and I hadn't checked his status yet because it wasn't what I was looking for exactly. Yes buyer's and sellers need to do there own work but if someone has been deemed to be a scammer and it's been verified correctly they should be banned . It seems as Echo018 has hit a few times for an example.

Not sure if it's done here but you can "flag" their IP address to be added to scammer blacklist for future blockage. Horse out of barn though.

Maybe a nice "selfie" holding the item with date.

Scammers prey on trust. LRH has built in inherent trust but members need to remember Pres. Reagan "Trust BUT verify" when using classifieds.
most normal people nowadays know how or will use a vpn, not to mention scammers. that would do nothing imo

i do think 10 posts is low
50 is too much imo to encourage good people to the site. i found the site looking for used sales but got caught up in the web of LRH
30 posts AND 7 or 14 days sounds reasonable. 30 AND 30 would be more strict, name it the ESPN rule....hey ooo

You can make all the rules you want , but it's up the individual to make sure the deals legit . It seems to me it's always the guy looking for the "smoking hot deal " that gets scammed .
Just as all the new gun laws won't stop a criminal , changing things on here won't stop people getting scammed . Personal responsibility .

I think hiding the classifieds behind a wall eliminates a scammer even trying to find a victim. They find their victims the same way they find the item they are "selling", a simple search.

The open WTB classifieds are like Armslist, Texas Gun Trader and any other free classifieds, rank with deception and filled with scum looking to make a quick easy buck.

I agree, nothing will stop it 100% until the buyer steps up and does their due diligence and fully vets the seller. Everyone wants to save a buck, especially in this tumultuous time in our economy, me included.

I've always thought it would be a good idea to limit sellers to "regular LRH members". That could be defined by a substantial number of posts and a minimum period of time. We would probably not all agree on the numbers but 50/50 wouldn't hurt anyone that is a regular member.

As an aside - I've made a number of small WTS ads. I have noticed that (occasionally) when I return to the ad to make an adjustment, the "EDIT" feature is not available. I can't add SOLD to the title nor can I lower the price in the original post.

I'm guessing there is a reason that this happens, but I've found it to hinder an appropriate change in the ad.

Lastly, I'm not opposed to an annual fee for non-commercial sellers who benefit by the use of the LRH site. A different standard could apply to commercial sellers. Just a thought.

So for pictures we are looking for black around the name tag as it's probably photo shopped in . I've got one from my scope delimma . Looks suspicious might be legit but does look funny . What do you think ?

Attachments

• 524159-38a443d7f98ffde9042391ca63e6195f.jpg
    524159-38a443d7f98ffde9042391ca63e6195f.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 66
So for pictures we are looking for black around the name tag as it's probably photo shopped in . I've got one from my scope delimma . Looks suspicious might be legit but does look funny . What do you think ?
That picture makes me nervous….. definitely looks odd around the note, I know nothing about photoshop but that doesn't really look natural either

IMO, file formal complaints with USPS, they have the most clout and desire to prosecute. Maybe catching a few, prosecute the crap out of them. Don't accept "I'm Sorry" and prosecute to fullest extent. I know I will if it happens.

This is pure and simple USPS Mail fraud.

"What is Mail Fraud?
Any fraud that uses the U.S. Mail®—whether it originates in the mail, by phone, or online—is mail fraud. It's a scheme to get money or something of value from you by offering a product, service, or investment opportunity that does not live up to its claims. Prosecutors must prove the claims were intentionally misrepresented and that the mail was used to carry out the scheme."

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Mail-Fraud

United States Postal Inspection Service

Scammers prey on trust. LRH has built in inherent trust but members need to remember Pres. Reagan "Trust BUT verify" when using classifieds.
Buyers are often, "emotionally attached " to their purchase item. I've been guilty of this. We want something soooo bad we overlook the warning signs that point to scam. When a person really want or really needs an item, that person is a prime target for a scammer.