Opinions on .300 wm dies please.

i use a lee collet die to just size the necks,a lee fl die when they get hard to chamber and a forster benchrest bullet seater die.lee collet dies are cheap but produce real low neck to body runout.jason

I just upgraded my standard RCBS FL Die set with a Forster Benchrest Full Length Sizing Die ($30) and a Redding Competition Sizing Die ($70).

The Forster has the expander mounted higher in the die so that the case is better supported when resizing. I checked runout after its first use and it measured .000 on all but one or two cases and those two measured .001. I chose the expander type die because I don't neck turn. This allows the inside of the case neck to be centered and more consistent. If a case does have inconsistent neck wall thickness, it will only show on the outside, leaving the inside in good shape for the bullet seating.

The Redding Competition Seater is awesome for adjusting bullet seating depth or making changes in seating depth. This die also supports the case fully while seating the bullet, virtually eliminating bullet runout.

I read a ton of info on different dies and this is what I figured would work best for me. I always bump shoulders .002.

First line of last post should read Redding Competition Bullet Seating Die. Not resizing die. Sorry, I ran pretty hard last night.

If you use Lapua brass

What dies are you guys using and why?I need to purchase some soon and could use some advice,Thank You.

just get the Lee collet die for neck sizing and the Redding body die to bump shoulders and then load and shoot , load and shoot , load and shoot.............reckon you get the picture .

I don't have to push the shoulder back untill I have 5 or six reloads on the brass . This, as with all things , may vary for you . The Lee collet die is a great tool , inexpensive and will work for you in ways you may not realize . I. E. how about no case lubing ? , Minimal brass work hardening , TIR as good as it gets , and I am not even trying hard to point out its great features .

And no , I do not receive any money from Lee Precision .

jimmba

GRPB,
I have gone to the Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension Dies for all my reloading. I still have a pile of RCBS but should probably sale them as I don't intend to ever use them if I don't have too.
In my opinion a resizing die is a resizing die. First thing I do is clean it thoroughly, just like my rifle chamber/barrel. Put a light coat of oil through it and patch it out. Same with the bullet seating die.
I like the seating die because of the sleeve that controls the bullet as it's being seated. My overall lengths are absolutely perfect everytime. JohnnyK.

Another vote for the Lee Collet Neck sizer, Redding Body Die and Redding Competition Seater or the RCBS Competition Seater.

Neck size till you get a crush fit, then push the shoulder back with the Redding Body Die. I actually prefer the RCBS Seater cause it is very handy to load bullets from the side

RCBScompseater.jpg

If you get the RCBS Gold Medal Match Seater which is available in 300 win mag then the internal collet supports the case body during the seating process.

"If you get the RCBS Gold Medal Match Seater which is available in 300 win mag then the internal collet supports the case body during the seating process."

The RCBS die's side loading gate is convienent but the "internal collet" (seating bushing) only supports the bullet and case mouth, the rest of the case is unsupported. The Forster and Redding BR/Comp dies align the entire length of the case and bullet in the same manner as bench rester's hand dies do, that's a much better system.

Not true.

I don't know if the picture will show it

DSCN0465.jpg

HPIM1258.jpg

but on the one on the left the sliding collet comes down over the neck, shoulder and a portion of the case body (it is about 1 1/2" long). It holds the bullet in the collet also. So when you load the bullet in the side the bullet and the case are aligned before it starts in the neck, unlike any other seater in which you have to balance the bullet on the neck and then raise into the die. That is a better system for starting the bullet in the neck.

I have Redding Competition Seaters and RCBS Gold Medal Seaters and I can tell you from experience that they both do a good job. From experience, since I have both kinds, I can say that the RCBS Gold Medal Match is just as good if not better than the Redding Competition Seater.

Decided on lee collet

Thank You very much for all the speedy responses.What a valuable resource this web site is.I,m not completely new to reloading,however the level of precision that you veterans operate at is new to me and I find it very worthy of respect.As a machinist I have a lot respect For precise work.I,ll have to order a high end seater die later as I,m trying to do this a little at a time.Thanks again,GRPB.

300WM dies....

I like to use the collet die and a Redding body die. The collets give low run-out and the BD will bump the shoulder back when they get alittle stiff to chamber. I also have a Durachrome FL set that I use for autos. For seating, the Lee dead set or the Durachrome seem to work fine.

Have a Good One,

Reloader

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.