Open ended question

backyardsniper

Ok, here is the deal I am starting a new gun. I have no Idea what yet, well some ideas. I have a 300 win, 338 lapua, 308 or two, and a nice rock river Ar in 223. So I have a stripped AR lower and i am leaning toward an AR in 204, but that is not set in stone I may go with a bolt gun I just happen to have the lower. I looked at 6.5x284 but it really seems too big for small stuff IE coyotes crows and such, but lacks the down range energy for big stuff whitetails past 400 or so. I am really thinking super fast , super flat small caliber. I saw a 17 rem upper on gunbroker but i must admit I know 0 about the 17 rem. So let me give you some info about me and I would like any input that anybody has time to offer.

I reload religiously so availability of ammo isn't much of an issue

I like to shoot long but terrain here limits long to about 500 if you are lucky

Interested in shilen 1/9 twist 204 but need some iput about it.

I do like big 6mm or 6.5

Gun will mostly see range time but i am getting into coyote hunting a bit

Currently shoot AR-15 1/9 coyote hunting Interested in 1/8 twist 223 mag length 75gr?

If you got the time to send some Ideas any iput would be greatly appreciated

thanks guys

A 6.5 with a 130 or 140 will have plenty of punch for a whitetail deer way past 500 yds. I had a 1-9 .204 on a AR platform. The gun shot great but when you try to shoot past 300, even the 50 grain bullets will get blown around a bunch. You might look into a 6mm shoting a 105 vld or 108 bt. I use a 6 dasher for my f class rifle and it will consistently shoot under 1/2 5 shot groups when conditions are somewhat favorable. I used it to kill a doe last year at 500. One shot and dead in its tracks.

I forgot to mention i have a savage 12 fv in 243 i shoot 95 berger vlds in with ziess scope rapid 600 reticle it is lights out awesome shooting rifle kind of why i like the 6mm What about the savage low pro 12's with dbm or the precision target i have been interested in it since it came out anybody here have one of those particularly the model 12 precision rifle

I love my 6.8SPC AR. It'll go 400yds, and drop deer. The problem is bullets, 90gr 110gr and 115SMK. Not much selection.

I think for what you've said, I'd go with the 6.5Grendel. It's supposed to be a smidgen more accurate than the 6.8. I think it would probably get you to 500 better.

My next AR upper is going to be in 458 socom.

You will find youe AR very hard to beat for up close and personal with coyotes, I used one also. For reach out and touch them I use eather a 224 TTH ( 2-6mm) or a 6 - 284. ( just started plaing with the 6-284) I have plaied with several different 17 cal. rounds and have 3 different rifles in 204 right now. I think that the bullet slection for the 17 makes it a better choice for coyote, but a 204 with a fast twist with the heave Berger bullets, I think, would be Ideal. The 224 TTH is not a good range gun. I burnt the throught out in 1,000 rounds, but the only time I ever shot a group at 600 yrds. it came in just under 2 in. It has an 8 twist and I shoot 80 gr. Sierra bullets. Only runnig around 3,200 fps because that`s where I got the best accuracy. I`m pushing 105 gr. bullets around 3,250 fps with the 6-284 but have a way to go with it. The 105 gr. bullets are only grouping around .680 moa. and when I get to 700 yrds. they are opening up more than that, enought to miss at least 1/2 of the coyotes.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.