Ones more... 264 win mag? Anybody shoot one

Damo450

i just posted a question about another rifle. That being said I also bought a .264 win mag last week. Model 70 classic 26". Great Gun NIB. Anybody here shooting one? Never owned one before. Thanks!

It is my go to caliber of choice. I have killed a lot of animals with one. My first semi custom build was a Model 70, lilja #6 barrel, manners stock. I am having my smith put a benchmark #4 fluted on it right now. I have over 1200 rounds on the lilja and it still shoots well. Just want something lighter.

One of my favorite calibers. Just finished load work on a model 700. The 140 Berger won this contest hands down. It's cousin the 6.5CM shot the same bullet very well in a Browning Hells Canyon Speed also.

Unfortunately, the .264 Win. Mag. suffered for decades because of the lack of appropriate powders suited for the bullets and case capacity. 'Barrel Burner', 'Blow Torch', etc. were often used to malign a perfectly great cartridge. The angle of the shoulder didn't do much to help the situation either. 25* simply doesn't make it when you're trying to curtail the hot plasma being routed down the bore when fired. Last but certainly not least was the lower quality of the barrel steel being used by the primary manufacturers and even the aftermarket barrel makers.

Now though, we've managed to surpass all of the flaws and drawbacks formerly used to malign a good cartridge.

We have wonderfully slow, lower burn rate powders and terrific quality steel being used by both the primary manufacturers and the aftermarket makers. Given the factory status of the cartridge, we can't do much about the shoulder angle unless we wildcat the case which doesn't help with the factory classification at all.

If anyone want to give this a try, realize that we have Retumbo, Norma 217, Re-25, Re-33 and even H-1000 or IMR7828 for cooler burning powders. The burn rate required will vary based on bullet weight and seating depth.

I'm shooting a #7 barreled action in a McMillan Marksman stock for static long range spot hunting and I've built several in #4 and #3 barreled walking hunters. All have 26" barrels at least, all Bartlein barrels. Originally, I started out with Winchester factory brass (yellow box) but now I have some Nosler and some Norma brass on hand to compare to the factory cases.

By way of comparison, the 6.5 WSM has the same or similar performance but can be fielded in a short action should you so desire.

Give it a try!

I love mine! 140 bergers at 3100 ish does the job, while being pretty easy on brass. Killed 3 elk and a few bucks with rifle, all but one DRT, the other one took a few steps before falling over dead.

I built one on a Savage 110 action just before the deer season started here in Texas.

My wife shot her buck on her first day to ever walk into the deer woods at 307yds...130gr Accu-bond running at modest 3050fps!

Buck_sm.jpg

Really enjoy shooting mine. I got mine after my shoulder refused to let me fire more than 4-5 rounds. Using the 142 NABLR and RL 33 getting great groups and good velocity out to 500. Used it to take my elk last year and an axis. Neither very far. Plan on taking it out the next time just because.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.