One powder to rule them all (30-06)?

Buddy just got "gran pappy's 30-06". Literally. It's a pre-64 M70 passed down from grandfather to father to son. We're looking to reload for it, and though I have several bullet choices on my shelf (I have a 308), I don't have much left in the powder department for 06.

I've only got enough H4350 and IMR4350 for a dozen or so rounds each, but otherwise the pickings are slim.

The rifle will pull duty as a long range target gun for fun, and more importantly, a ≤ 400 yd deer/elk rifle.

What powder is your favorite for 165-180 gr class bullets? He's not going to be shooting a ton, and obviously isn't trying to create a half minute tack driver, so we're looking for one good powder that will just "get the job done".
I like either H-8431 or IMR-4350 works great with 180 gr.

Looks to be pretty well answered. Any of the 4831 powders and 4350. Those are great for virtually any of the bigger cartridges. 8 pound hug. it is fun to play with other powders, but depend on those 2. I use the manuals from the bullet maker and internet winchester, IMR site. lots of good loads listed there

Yuppers,,, H or IMR 4350,,, and H4831...

I use both of those powders for 168 to 180 grain'ers...

I tried Varget and IMR 4064 that I have for my 308's,,, but I find it to erotic for that size of cases... Or should I say """Crisp."""

Supform if you can get it in your area is a good powder for the 165/ 168gr bullets...

And yes H 4831 is a very slow burn,,, I find it fills the case nicely and is super accurate fore sure...

A nice smooth release with constancy...

Good luck finding what works.
I'll agree to that . Been awhile but all I used was IMR 4350, H4831 and IMR 4831. Sometimes IMR 4064 and 4320 with 150 gr. bullets. IMR 4350 was good with lighter bullets also. By powders you can tell it's been awhile... lol

Buddy just got "gran pappy's 30-06". Literally. It's a pre-64 M70 passed down from grandfather to father to son. We're looking to reload for it, and though I have several bullet choices on my shelf (I have a 308), I don't have much left in the powder department for 06.

I've only got enough H4350 and IMR4350 for a dozen or so rounds each, but otherwise the pickings are slim.

The rifle will pull duty as a long range target gun for fun, and more importantly, a ≤ 400 yd deer/elk rifle.

What powder is your favorite for 165-180 gr class bullets? He's not going to be shooting a ton, and obviously isn't trying to create a half minute tack driver, so we're looking for one good powder that will just "get the job done".
that is a very valuable rifle, do not burn out the barrel of the range.

I have a '51 Husqvarna 270W. I have worked several loads over the years for this. Because older rifles don't have the tight twist modern rifles do, the respond a little different to bullets weights. In experimenting, I have found 2 modern powders that work very well with this; H4831, and H1000. I also use H1000 in my 338LM. I was surprised how well it worked with the 270W. As a matter of fact, it works very well. Not that I want more people buying up my favorite powder, I do want to offer another powder that works very well in my old and modern rifles of different sizes that I did not see in this thread. Good luck and enjoy.

4350 Handsdown - unless going to use heavier Bullets than 180's & guess with Vintage of Rifle not a really fast twist — so I would say 165's or similar weight all round ! But load some 220 Grain Round noses with 4831SC if hunting in Area w/Big Bears - Just in case !!!!
Ole School Approach from Ole Guy — been Loading 4350 since 74 - never failed!!! Proficient Effectiveness I liked Ballistic Tips & Partitions, now prefer Barnes TSX —

IMR 4350 has always been my go to powder in my 30.06.I've been using it for 35 yrs. I also used W760 now and then. Sometimes I use more modern temperature stable powders but I just like 4350. I use a lot of Nosler bullets.

I was having a rough time finding a powder to push a 165/168 grain at 2750fps (shepherd scope) accurately. A buddy of mine loaded some 165 Hornadys with 45 grains of H4895 and presto, just under 2800fps and driving tacos for a Mauser action and a Remington 700 action. Luckiest load I ever tried. May be worth a try?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.