One mile shot

You will need a scope with a good amount of elevation for the shot that far. Doesn't need to be all dialed but having some in the reticle will help also. I'd look for a scope that has 26+ mils in it as you can set up the base/rings/mount with enough cant to use most of it.

For the rifle a magnum will make it an easier task but will also come with more recoil and cost of ammo. You need to figure if you want to spend the money on a magnum for taking the shots a few times and then have it just sit in the safe or buy something you will shoot more down the road or do you plan to shoot like that a lot. I have done a mile with a 6.5 Creedmoor and also a 300WM and a 7mmRM. What were your thoughts?

I have a savage 110 7mm mag and I also have a ruger American Go Wild 6.5 cm, I just haven't got around to put scopes on either of them. I've been a hunter my whole life and I'm also a Marine Corps veteran so I'm pretty experienced when it comes to shooting and guns in general, I've just never truly stepped into the long range world until recently. Which of those two rifles, if either, would you recommend? Also have a 30-06, 223, 22-250, 270, and a 300 wsm but im not a fan of the 300.
You can hit one mile with both the 7mm and 6.5CM. Two things to consider. You need to have an accurate rifle. If it is 1 MOA then at 1,700 yds you can be 17", if 0.5MOA then 8.5". Makes a big difference trying to hit a 2' plate.
You need a GOOD Scope. You will spend more for the scope than the rifle in ELR. Good Glass is a must to read the wind and mirage. You can get a hundred different answers on what equipment to shoot one mile.
WARNING!
Once you start hitting a plate at a mile you will probably be HOOKED and the SKY is the limit on how much you are going to spend $$$$ for upgrade barrels, stocks, scopes, different cartridges.
Good luck it is a lot fun shooting LR.

You could try some Hornady 162 ELDM or ELDX ammo through your 7mm rem mag as it sits. It should get you to 1500 yards and possibly a mile depending on how the bullet acts after going trans sonic. People have shot out to a mile with the Ruger American in 6.5 CM. You can view that on youtube. I'd spend the money on an optic, if you want to get a budget scope for now a SWFA fixed 10X or 12X should suffice and they are on sale. Just over 200 bucks.

It's definitely set up more like a hunting rifle.
I believe that one would be a staggerfeed mag model. If center feed I'd consider a chassis stock to your liking and get a prefit barrel with 1-8 to 1-8.5 inch twist. If staggerfeed then a Boyd's fine would be fine. You could always get a Magpul stock for the Ruger. It depends on which rifle you like more. IMO the 7mm RM would be a better option, but the 6.5 CM would be more economical so you could practice more. Either option would likely leave with $1400 to $1500 for a decent scope.