once upon a time out west

Jimm

There were 10 or so of them . Bedded down, looking in all directions. Cover was scarce and the wind was fickle. 275! my built in range finder was screaming, along with other words like shoot, shoooot! I crawled to the last bit of cover, laid my rifle across the gnarled juniper limb and held on the backline of the largest of them. At the shot he scrambled to his feet ,looked around then hauled his not inconsiderable but into the wind.The shot had been high! though I had been zeroed at 250 I had'nt taken into account the change in elevation from sea level Arkansas to Wyoming high plains.Searching frantically among the fleeing horde I spotted him just as the stampede halted,but I could'nt shoot!, too many juniper limbs in the way. Scrambling to my feet, I held dead on the shoulder and as the sights settled the old girl spoke. Stampede! but there was one that would'nt be joining them, he was going home to live with me. [image]C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\2005-02 (Feb)\wyo mulie.jpg[/image] [image][/image]

It's John Denver!!! Hey guy's... It's John Denver!

Nice deer and story... thanks for sharing.

(And that big smile makes you look like John Denver in case you didn't notice, and the glasses too.)

Well done Jimm,

You managed it, great photo, nice mulie, as for the John Denver thing....Naaah. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Centre Punch.

Country roads take me home to the place i belong west virginia da da da da............... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Centre Punch, thanks! I too always thought I was better looking than old denver boy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif You must realize that that pic is over twenty years old and I'm no longer near as handsome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif As time permits I will post add'l pix that are more up to date(read geezer pix) How about some shots of game you've taken at various points in your life. see ya , jimm

Jimm,
I dont have any pics because basically i have not killed anything with my rifles yet, and thats a big YET, although some years ago i did take out a male Mallard with a 357 revolver (highly illegal).

The prohibitive cost and red tape imposed be the authorities make hunting with rifles very difficult, we do not have any common land where it is free to hunt, land selected for hunting must be passed "safe for what calibre you use" by the police,they will inspect the land and say yes or no. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

At the incredibly slow rate of which the wheels of buearocracy turn in this country, this can take months /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
I then have to have my Firearms licence ammended to include expanding ammunition or the components there of,i also have to specify what game i am going to shoot with which calibre!
If i am out deer stalking with my 243 and i shoot a fox, get found out, i will lose my licence and have my guns confiscated. You would be surprised where the antis spring up from.

Rifle hunters in Great Britain number in my estimation about 10 000 and we are vastly outnumbered by the animal rights brigade.
Anyway, back to the nicer things, even with all these obstructions in front of me i hope to develope a long range varmint shoot down the side of a local golf club, about 600yrds, they have a big rabbit problem. If i am successful you guys will be the first to know and will see the first pics.

Centre Punch.

PS. I'm going to see my gunsmith tommorrow with a view to commisioning a 6mm 284 long range varmint rifle,watch this space!

CentrePunch , So sorry my man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif . What about red stag hunts in Scotland? I spent a year and a half stationed at RAF Edzell( near Brechin ,Scotland). Anyway, if you get a chance some shots of the area you do hunt would be great. Also ,if you want to vacation here in the states come in winter ,we'll find plenty to shoot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Centrepunch ,
Reckon the Poms must have even more do-gooders per capita than Australia .
No right to bear arms in our constitution either .
Guess we can look forward to the same crap as you guys sooner or later . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Unfortunately this is what we get when our choice of political leaders is like dumb and dumber!

To all the guys out there,
This sort of [censored] will eventually descend on all of you, all i can say is fight, fight,fight, and dont give in to any concessions. We are getting disarmement through the back door, the government said "we have no intention of more legislation against guns", yey through other acts of parliament they are making more difficult to get ammunition and reloading components, closing down ranges and the best one of all, dissbanding the department of the military that issues range safty certificates! So when your certificate expires, there's no one to issue a new one, effecitvely closing the range. A condition on my Firearms certificate and everyone else's (unless they are lucky enough to have an "open" cetificate)says, to cut it short: firearms and ammo can only used on ranges for which a current safety certificate has been issued by the appropriate authoity. This is still law. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

You might think i am going on a bit here but mark my words there are government advisers sitting in thier offices right now dreaming these kind of restraints and how to impose them on the population. Here in England i think it is to far gone and we cant be rescued, but for the rest of you, you can win but it will a long hard fight.

Centre Punch.

PS. I did not know that the word .... would be censored and apologise for writing it.

Centre Punch

I didn't know it'd be censored either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif probably a default setting from the new software.

Centre Punch, Hey guy ! don't sweat the small stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Next time just type censored /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif We'll get your drift /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gifSeriously , I completely understand your desire to emphasize your disgust/outrage at the conditions in your country re: the shooting sports.What do you do for a living? Perhaps you could immigrate to the states!,stranger things have happened.

I do plan on taking some photos from more advantageous view points of the areas I hunt here in Arkansas. So much of our land is heavily wooded that it is diffucult to get good pix of large amounts of landscape.However here is an interesting pic of a gaggle of young bucks dragging a young buck uphill to the road ( about half a mile) to the road.These are the Ouachitas ,bench mountains ,heavily wooded with a broad variety of hardwoods [image][/image]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.