Old Powder

tjbill

I didn't reload for several years and I have many cans of older powder sitting around that are anywhere from 8 to 12 years old. The powder has been kept dry but has been exposed to extreme temperatures (I lived in Las Vegas for 9 years). First is the powder safe or will there be any change in performance? And second, if it is not, what is the best way to dispose of it?

I can not say wether or not the powder is good (I just don't know), but I will tell you that I usually soak my powder in oil before desposing it. I think that oil will all but nullify the explosive properties of powder. I would wait for some second thoughts on that before dumping oil in your old cans thought. I have never disposed of more than a few ounces of powder at a time. YOu could always burn it by putting it in a long narrow windrow and lighting it too (not the safest way however).

Like the previous post, I can't tell. However, I have used old powder in a number of reloads. I always start low and chronograph the results. I then look at what I got from the chronograph against what I expected to get. I then adjust the load data accordingly.

If I see rust or a strong odor that doesn't have that ether smell, I now have a can of fertilizer and it is just hand sowed/broadcast on my lawn. No more problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.