old powder vs new powder

PEEWEE69

Ok I have a load I worked up about 20 yrs ago for my 270 win . At the time I was bored so I loaded about 250 rounds (note this is a hunting rifle I only shoot about 10 times a yr) now I'm running low and was gonna reload some more but wasn't sure I could use the same powder charge since I know powders have to have changed some
The load is 59.0 grns of H 4831 CCI large rifle and a 130 grn nosler balistic tip
Or do I drop back 10% and start over

Start over,The load may or may not change but I think its a unnecessary risk. I have switched lot # before and found my load wasn't as accurate as before. Once you find your preferred load you'll be good for another 20 years..

Use the long cut load 5 rounds from 57-59 at .5 intervals. If you were using the old solid base 130 ballistic tips load to the same length same primer. The short cut will produce the same speeds but because it settles you may get more deviation causing vertical stringing beyond 200yds.

I have noticed that the last 5 or so rounds have been about 1 to 2 inches high
Any reason for this
Also I just loaded 5 batches of five from 56.5 to 58.5 and see what she does

I checked my Hornady Load books. The 1967 Hornady book lists 61.0 gr. max for H-4831 with 130 gr. bullet. 7th Edition Hornady book lists 62.0 gr. max for H-4831 with 130 gr. bullet. You may be light loading with the loads have shown. My experience with H-4831 is near max or max. I would work up to your original 59.0 gr. see if your rifle still loves it. Good Luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.