OK, My turn on the 6.5 Creedmoor

RoyB

I love developing loads to make my rifles shoot as accurate as possible. I love the challenge!
The 6.5CM ain't that cartridge. I have four 6.5CM rifles now, two Savage (sporter and varmint), A Thompson Compass and a Rem 700 Varmint....ALL shoot under an inch at 100yds for 5 shots.
The Savage Sporter was bought on line from CDNN, with a scope during a Promotional sale. After rebate it cost me $279....My plan was to shoot it, and then mess with it to see how accurate I could make a simple, inexpensive, plastic stock, hunting rifle.
IMR4350 / Sierra 140g in Lapua small primer brass and off to the range I go....First three shots from a brand new, unfired barrel went into literally one hole at 100yds...I thought the rifle was missing the paper! I was sure the scope had come loose!...I had to shoot a second group to be sure. That group was 3/8"! And all subsequent groups are well under an inch! This is a pencil thin, sporter weight barrel! No way I was going to improve upon this rifle.....
The Thompson Compass was also a promotional deal. $299....and the Savage Varmint was a Cabelas only special.....$399.....The Remington 700 started out as another Cabelas deal for $349.....I put it in a fancy MagPull stock and added an Athlon first focal plane scope and it is an amazing 500yd gun (The longest range I have available to me).......This Remington was purchased just for the action. I have a 6.5 Kreiger barrel sitting on the bench to rebarrel it......But now I'll wait until this factory barrel wears out as I'm not sure a rebarrel would improve the accuracy.
All four of these rifles have me spending just a bit over $1000.....Can't beat that with a stick!
I've been a 6PPC and 6BR benchrest shooter for over 30 years. But I've never seen such an easy to afford, easy to load, easy on recoil, amazingly accurate, medium to larger game and long distance target cartridge like the 6.CM.......

Yep, hate mine as well. Can't wait to shoot the barrel out of it so I can turn it into something useful. Maybe I will rebarrel it to a 6.5 Creedmoor. By the way you forgot to mention how enjoyable it is to shoot. ;)

BTW, There are only two other cartridges in my experience that even come close to the inherent accuracy of the 6.5CM...
17MkIV and the 6BR.......These are also "Set It and Forget It" cartridges. Just about any powder and any quality bullet and you are off to the races...Or the EGG Shoot!

But unlike the 6.5CM, you need to spend lots of time with brass prep......With the 6.5CM I did NOTHING to the lapua brass. Neck sized and inserted the bullet to SAMMI spec length. Nothing more......Same load and length in all four rifles too...Talk about convenient!

So easy, a caveman can develop loads!

cavemancandoit.jpg

I'v got 3-6.5's and 1-6 and going to turn one of those into a 25 Creedmoor.

Hey Royb, I got myself a TC compass also. Been playing a little, but not much. Have a couple decent loads after initial work ups but best currently is around .6" at current. I havent messed yet with seating depths. But to the point, you mind posting what 6.5 load your compass liked? I know all rifles are different and I always work up from my own knowledge base, so there's my disclaimer for you. :)

Hey MB Owner....I dont have my load info with me. I'm currently on a bird hunt in New Mexico and all that info is at home in Massachusetts. But for bullets, I was hunting in Stover MO last year and visited Sierra and bought a few pounds of two different 140g Blem bullets. They have them in 55 gallon drums and you buy them by the pound. They call them blems but I can never find anything blemished.
Powder is either IMR4350 or H4350. Using the mid range load in various loading manuals. Over all length is simply the SAMMI spec.
Using small primer Lapua brass with zero brass prep. Neck sized and not crimped.

Easy Peasy!

Thanks RoyB! Have fun on that bird hunt. I get out around that Sierra plant once in awhile. I'll have to stop in sometime.

Did you read Darrell Hollands article about it right here on this web site? Very good read...
Sure did... And it sounded more like an advertisement than it did a genuine editorial. Also, a gunsmith that claims to have sold all his other guns in other cartridges and now only owns rifles chambered for 1 cartridge, can't bode well for future business. Shows one-sidedness and shows lack of ability to make other cartridges perform equally as well. Which, contrary to modern newbie belief, is not about the cartridge, it's about the person doing the load work and pulling the trigger. There is no such thing as "inherent accuracy", therefore there is no such magic cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts