Ok, got an optic... Now what rifle?

Little background... I'm deployed and have been eyeballing a new rifle for long range target shooting, with the intention of being comfortable shooting deer/caribou/moose (I'm stationed in Alaska) out to 500+. Not a monster shot, but not a chip shot for a lot of rounds/rifles/shooters.

I had my mind set on a .338LM, most likely the 700P, when I bought a nightforce 5.5-22. Got the scope in and now I'm wavering. I think the 700p is going to leave me wanting in the accuracy department, and they run about $1700 new with a stock and trigger and barrel that I'd prefer to change. Upside is that it is shoot able day one.

I have a savage 110 with a sporter barrel in .300WM that I probably won't mess with because I genuinely enjoy it as is with a 3-9x and it was a gift from my dad.

If I were to start from scratch, I really like the idea of a heavier barreled .300WM with a DBM and would probably choose that round. But already having a 30 caliber makes me think it's a good chance to get something different. Is it redundant to own two .300WMs? Anybody ever found themselves in this situation? I am still on the fence between a 7mm, another .300WM, or one of the big .338s.

My buddy is gonna sell me a 700 LA for cheap when we get back, so the rifle is already kinda built in my head, just need a caliber decision.

Hmmmmm . . . . decisions, decisions, decisions. . .

My thinkin' is that you already have a great carry gun in the Savage, with great moderate distance capability as determined by it's scope.

2 - 300s have its advantages as far as reloading equipment and supply costs. But it ain't very sexy.:)

Given your 500 yard range guestimate, (BTW it will change when you see somethin' at say 650 and can't get closer :) ) great choices would be 338 winmag, which ain't no slouch, or 338 RUM. This selection should round out your stable of shooters and save tons of money and time plus benefit the marriage if you have one....

HTH

I know the non-sexy solution is often the wise solution.

Is there money to be saved by going .338 RUM vs LM? When I've compared the two it looks like brass cost is the only savings (offset by the quality and durability of the lapua brass).

Will a donor action in .300WM take the big RUMs?

I know that my skills need to improve before I start thinking about shooting game at extended ranges. That's why 500 is on my mind. There aren't a lot of things in Alaska that need to be shot from further than that anyway.

forget about $ savings when comparing the two. Any savings is burned up in powder, bullets, primers and gas....:D

To answer one question, my 338 RUM started out as a 338 WinMag. (Rem 700)

The biggest difference between the RUM and Lapua is the brass. The Lapua brass is a bit more expensive but is so much better than any other brass brand that it pays for itself in case life very quickly.

Most extreme long range shooter, me in particular, milk every bit of velocity out of the cartridge, to the point of being obsessive.:rolleyes: This is where Lapua brass shines.

Hand loaded the 338 Lapua is capable of superb velocities along with accuracy.

Hand loaded the 338 RUM pretty much keeps up with 338 Lapua factory velocities. Hand loaded the Lapua almost reaches a different class.

I shot the 300 grain Berger a little over 2700 which seems quite authoritative out around 1200 yards.

A 225 NAB at over 3000 out of the RUM seems all a fella would need. But I'm one of those bigger is better fellas.:)

A Savage 110 or Rem 700 donor action will both work, with the rem, buy the correct bolt instead of having the bolt face cut. Another idea Savage 110 FCP HS .338 lapua is less than a 700P and unless you end up with a lemon, likely a lot more accurate, they also have a 111 LRH that's less than 1100$, just some ideas. If you don't mind spending a little more don't forget about the Sako TRG42 or Wby MK V either.

I've owned two 300 win rifles at once. The minute I needed money the one I liked less went down the river. A light bullet/heavy bullet combo makes some sense, but 300 wins don't settle down until you have a 150-165 grain bullet in them, so one rifle with a 165-200 grain pill would be better. If you are getting another rifle get in a caliber that is really different enough to warrant buying. If you are thinking about a bit 338, they are great, but get behind someone elses' rifle first and give her a few rounds to make sure you know what you are in for. The 300 isn't a slouch; it will do 2700-2800 fps with a 220 grain hpbt. The ultra and lapua hit 2700 fps on a 300 if pushed some. It's 27% more down-range for the 33's. The problem you have is the big 7's and big 30's are the best you can get in a carryable rifle without a brake on it.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I think I'm gonna search up some threads about those two savages in .338LM. Go big or go home I guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.