Observations on my TAC Ordanance

gvonn

My first post I thought I would talk about my TAC Ordanance. Good, Bad and everything in between.
First impression? Man does this thing sling and accurate arrow!
Although a great shooter I quickly noticed a couple issues. Shooting the factory PSE 26.25's I noticed deformation of my vanes after just a few shots through the Whisker Biscuit.
I read anything and everything i could on the TAC's which led me to immediately get the drop away rest. This has been the best upgrade to date. Surprized PSE does not offer this as an option.
After several more shots, I noticed my lower right vane was getting clipped on something. I initially thought in was hitting the dropaway but after closer examination it showed signs of clipping the top cable on the bottom side. When I took a real close look, I noticed the factory arrows nock index was off slightly on every arrow (Cocked to the right) which could explaing why the lower right vane was getting clipped.
After much more research reading forums, I decided to try a 2 vane configuration on my TAC 15 arrows. I used 3" Duravane's which are slightly larger than the Duravane 3D's.I must say so far I am very pleased! I notice no difference and maybe slightly better performance over the four vane factory configuration. This also eliminated the fetching interference with the lower cable and the bottom of the scope rail. For my primary purpose being hunting, the two vane is perfect. Easier to fletch, cheaper! and groups at 3" off bullseye our to 100 yards. Plenty good to bag game!
Another issue I ran into is an occasional nock getting destroyed by the sheer force of the cable slinging the arrow. Can really figure this one out. I did notice the nocks on the factor arrows have what appear to be portions ground down I assume to aid assembly? My replacement nocks fit just fine. I tryed the Bulldog collars on PSE TAC arrows but this did not work at all. Nocks get destroyed after just a couple shots. I assume the collars may work on the upgraded arrows offered for the TAC's.
Once last issue I had as well as other I've read was the cable jumping while cranking. This is an easy remedy. Pull just enough rope to allow you to hook your sled. If you unwind too much, you will experience the cable jump that can actually launch your arrow about 5 feet.
All in all I'm impressed with this crossbow. Downsides are length, weight, and the expense to own and operate this machine. This is not a cheap sport! I've already lost $40 worth of arrows for various reasons I wont go into. Just trying to find a target that can handle this bad boy is not cheap or easy. So, if your on a tight budget, stay away from this one. Would I buy it again? Of course. The accuracy and power this crossbow brings is second to none in my opinion.
I picked up a pack of the Aerovane III's and am thinking about trying a 2 vane set up just to see how it flies. I'll update if anything noteworthy.

Well,
I have some results shooting a 2X180 Aerovane III TAC 15 26.25 100 grain field point.
Incredible accuracy out to 80 yards. Not shooting groups but shooting the same arrow for all my shots. I was shooting at a 3" circle target and was within 1.75 on every shot. Last shot of the evening was a bullseye at 80 yards. Will take it out further tomorrow and see how she does.

photo 1 (5).JPG

photo 2 (4).JPG

Hi gvonn,

i try to improve my arrows too. You are still using the collars on your carbon arrows on the pictures? (those are no aerobolts, or I am wrong?)

Did you solve the problem they getting destroyed, or you just live with it?

I got 4 arrows "eating" the knock so far, only one i could repair. If there is one weak spot in the knock area of the bolt it will fail.

I'm thinking about using some kind of paint on the knocks who aren't as tight as they should in the arrow. There are sometimes gaps after shooting ...
Then i will heat up the back area of the arrow (not over 150 degrees because of the carbon) and push the knock in.

Sorry, I should have updated on my use of the Bulldog collars. I am now having good luck with them. My problem to start was that I did not glue my nock into the collar. Once I started gluing, I have had zero failures. Hope this helps.

Perplexed!

Shooting Ramcat's with the single edge blades made for the Aerovane 3's. Compared to field points, shots drift 12" high and 4" left at 30 yards. Remove the blades and the RC shoots where it should. Can't figure out what is causing that much lift. Looking for help on this.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.