Objective size

If you want more light during the early morning or late evening hours all you have to do is reduce the magnification SLIGHTLY and you won't need to bother with a 56mm objective lens.

Example: It is generally accepted that the human eye can not use a column of light larger than about 6mm. (even smaller for older eyes) You will get a 6mm column of light from a 56mm objective with the magnification set @ 9.3x. Using an identical scope with a 50mm objective lens you would have to use a magnification of 8.3x to get the same column of usable light. How much difference would it make if your scope was set on 8x rather than 9x? Virtually none, and you wouldn't have to deal with the weight, height or cost of a 56mm scope.

I might add that there is nearly as strong an argument for staying with scopes that have a 44mm objective. Same amount of usable light @ 7.3x. Personally, I have no problem with 40mm-44mm objectives.

Just my 2 cents and I've got 40mm's, 44mm's, 50mm's and a single Nightforce 12x42x56.

There are some very good points made about the quality of the glass
having a large bearing how much light is transmited.

I have an old Leupold M8 12x target that is unreal for a 40mm objective
scope. but I use 50mm on almost all of my hunting scopes and in really
poor light reduce the power to 5x or 6x enabling me to hunt until dark.

I have sean a few 50mm scopes that were not as good as 40mm and 44mm
scopes. but as a rule 50mm scopes are plenty.

If you hunt with your rifle buy a variable scope with 4x to 6x on the lowest
power.

J E CUSTOM

so a 6.5-20 VX-III should be alright? 6 power isnt too high for the low end?

6x is very high if you take the rifle into the woods. I had a 6.5x20 Leupold on my 7STW that I normally use for longrange shooting. I brought it to PA for some whitetail hunting and ended up hunting in the woods rather than on the edge of the fields. I found that 6x was a big handicap when viewing targets under 100 yds.

Just something to think about.

Gotta agree with VH: Opinions will vary, but after 40+ years hunting, I know that situations will arise in general (non-long range) hunting where quick acquisition of a target at 6X magnification is very difficult to say the least.

IMHO 2-4X on the low end is much better

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.