OAL ?

RCMSTER

So, my question is this. Will OAL variance of .030 make a significant difference in accuracy from shot to shot? Rifle is a Winchester 25-06. Bullet is a remington ultra-bonded 115 grain. Powder is 52.0 grains of Norma MRP and primer is federal 210M. BTW, I'm not measuring to ogive, I'm measuring bullet tip to case head. Yes, I know I should measure to ogive, just dont have the hornady tool to do that. Thanks for any input.

So, my question is this. Will OAL variance of .030 make a significant difference in accuracy from shot to shot? Rifle is a Winchester 25-06. Bullet is a remington ultra-bonded 115 grain. Powder is 52.0 grains of Norma MRP and primer is federal 210M. BTW, I'm not measuring to ogive, I'm measuring bullet tip to case head. Yes, I know I should measure to ogive, just dont have the hornady tool to do that. Thanks for any input.

It's impossible to say because OAL only matters for magazine fit. Your base to ojive measurement may be quite a bit closer than the .030" you got by measuring to the bullet tip.. And as Mram said, sometimes it makes a difference and other times it doesn't.

I measured some of the bullets, and they're mostly within 015, but maybe 10% will be outside of that by varying amounts. I sorted 15 off that were within about .008, and I was still getting variances of about .025. Weird.

It's impossible to say because OAL only matters for magazine fit. Your base to ojive measurement may be quite a bit closer than the .030" you got by measuring to the bullet tip.. And as Mram said, sometimes it makes a difference and other times it doesn't.
They are hunting loads, so perhaps it's a moot point, but still, I kinda want to make my loads as consistent as I can.

Well, there's no harm in keeping a consistent OAL and if it works in hunting scenarios, that great. You're loading for a great cartridge that is one of the most underrated IMHO. The meplat of the bullet can vary dramatically on an OAL measurement but if they fit the mag and suffice for your purposes, go for it. If you want some extra precision, ask Santa for an OAL gage. I've been using one for years and I'm a happy customer.

Well, there's no harm in keeping a consistent OAL and if it works in hunting scenarios, that great. You're loading for a great cartridge that is one of the most underrated IMHO. The meplat of the bullet can vary dramatically on an OAL measurement but if they fit the mag and suffice for your purposes, go for it. If you want some extra precision, ask Santa for an OAL gage. I've been using one for years and I'm a happy customer.

Yeah, I need to get one, but I may have to start saving for higher price gas and more taxes.

I will agree with the above, I found that just measuring to the ogive vs bullet tip resulted in much more consistent measurements even when nothing else changed. Do the best you can with what you have. If you're measuring to bullet tip I would worry much less about individual lengths and work on 3-5 round average lengths to lessen the variance. The Hornady tools for measuring to the ogive (CBTO) and also case shoulder bump have been great additions I would suggest. I still don't have the bullet seating depth tool but it's on the list eventually. I just have other (more labor intensive) ways of getting that info in the meantime.

if you had a spent 22 LR brass case .. you could put the bullet tip in the opening and measure from case head to case head to get and ogive measurement

im sure there is something in your junk drawer would work

if you had a spent 22 LR brass case .. you could put the bullet tip in the opening and measure from case head to case head to get and ogive measurement

im sure there is something in your junk drawer would work
Well, I've got lots of 22 magnum cases, no 22LR. Would they work, you think? Thanks for the advice.

dont see why not , keep it straight inline and i think youll get a good measurement

you can use a 40 cal or 9mm to get a good idea for your shoulders ..

you can drill a hole whatever size you need in about any material and do the same thing ..

the ydanroh tools are really unessicary.

Just a guess, but I think some of your actual base to ogive variance may be due to differences in neck tension. Especially with the group of bullets you selected for OAL. If you're using traditional sizing die with a neck expander, be very sure to lube the inside of the neck by some means. -Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.