OAL of Cartridge 338 Lapua

What is working best for you? Berger 300 gr.

I had questions regarding this also not long ago....... However I am limited by my magazine length which is 3.620". Makes it difficult for me to load 300 gr Bergers; thus I will probably end up using the new 285gr Hornadys as they will seat better due to their slightly shorter profile.

It seems like you have a short magazine. I have a Savage in .338 lap. and I load 3.630 COAL with Barnes 285's, and load 300 SMK's even longer and they fit in the Mag no problem. I can measure the COAL on the 300's when I get home.

It seems like you have a short magazine. I have a Savage in .338 lap. and I load 3.630 COAL with Barnes 285's, and load 300 SMK's even longer and they fit in the Mag no problem. I can measure the COAL on the 300's when I get home.

Thx please do I would appreciate it

Hodgens website lists the COAL at 3.600 for SMK 300gr bullets. I realize my magazines are shorter than most but hopefully with my 28" barrel I can get the FPS I am hoping for!! gun):)

That is probably SAAMi spec's don't remember off the top of my head. Im loading those to .001 off the lands. With a 28" barrel you should be ok on velocity.

That is probably SAAMi spec's don't remember off the top of my head. Im loading those to .001 off the lands. With a 28" barrel you should be ok on velocity.

Thanks for the information. This is my first and probably only custom build. Being a Firefighter/Paramedic and raising a family including a special needs daughter does not leave much $ for hobbies. It has taken me almost three years to piece this project together scrounging 5 dollar bills and change in order to get the parts I wanted so hopefully all turns out the way I plann. The build will consist of the following.

Stiller TAC 338 action/20moa base
McMillan A3-5 stock in Desert camo
Bartlein Barrel 9.3 twist 28"
APA little bastard muzzle brake
Timney Trigger
PTG bottom metal, AI magazine's
Ceracoat McMillan tan
Nightforce 5.5-22X56
Seekins high rings
Nightforce inclinator, nightforce bubble level
Harris bipod
Assembled by Phoenix Custom Rifles
Lapua brass

T-minus three weeks till completion!!
Can't wait!!!!

Sounds like its going to be a pretty nice rifle when its done. Do you live in AZ or just having Phx rifles build and ship it to you? I Live in Mesa.

Cool! If you want we should meet up when you get your rifle and do some shooting. I am a member out at Rio Salado and we have a 500 meter high power range, plus I have a place out in the desert to shoot out to 1k. I can PM you my cell number.

Cool! If you want we should meet up when you get your rifle and do some shooting. I am a member out at Rio Salado and we have a 500 meter high power range, plus I have a place out in the desert to shoot out to 1k. I can PM you my cell number.

That sounds great, I could use a little assistance in load development for this rifle also. I have all the reloading equipment, powder, brass, I have all the reloading equipment, powder, brass, and bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.