OAL consistency issue with Redding dies, Berger VLD's

300WinMagNewb

I am loading for a 300 RUM on my Lee classic cast press, with a set of redding dies, and loading 210 Berger VLD hunting bullets. I am having issues with consistent OAL, I'm getting differences of up to .005" per load, and am not certain why. Any thoughts on something I might be doing wrong, or is this just par for the course? I certainly hope it isn't, that is just too much of a difference. Thanks in advance.

Also, using never-fired OEM brass all checked and are consitent OAL, FYI.

Last edited:
could be seating the bullet on the tips and not the ogive. Non uniform tip or meaplat can cause this issue i would call redding and get the new thread on bullet seater made for the berger VLD's and comes with dial for changing seating depth, i think they run $50 or so.

i had this problem till i realised the meplat is not uniform at all in the bergers. Use a comparitor for the best results. let me know how they preform i have a box to load for my rum as well but put on hold to work on my lar-8 and build a 338-300 ultra mag(edge)

Im guessing that you are measuring off the ogive, and that the seater is seating them more off the tip area. I had this problem with my bergers, I just ran a small drill bit in seater and gave clearance for long tip difference, 5minute job, solved my problem

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.