NX8 4-32x50 MOAR owners check In

Hey, folks -

I have been on the search for my favorite optic the last few years, including the likes of the zeiss V6, MK5 5-25, MK5 3.6-18, NX8 2.5-20, etc

So far, the MK5 3.6-18 has been the clear winner in optical performance, shootability, turret system, footprint, weight, etc.

I REALLY wanted to like my NX8 2.5-20 but could not get over how awful the eyebox was, the touchy unrefefenced parallax, and felt the light transmission wasn't very good. I have heard/read the eye box and parralax issue are often exclusive to the 2.5–20 and that the 4-32 is better.

Can some owners offer me an objective review of western hunting with their 4-32 NX8's and possibly compare your experience to the MK5's?

I have owned 3 MK5hd's, all 3.6-18's, two illuminated and one non illuminated. All TMR reticles. I really really wanted them to be my go to do all optic. Two of the three lost zero. Tracked fine, but lost zero for absolutely no reason. One had a sideways jump of 1.5" out of the blue during a range session. Re zeroed and 50 round later it did it again. Second issue I had a big (3") at 100 vertical shift with a separate scope. Found out the hard way when I spined a nice buck when I was holding for a lung shot at 550 yards. Took the rifle to the range the next week and sure enough, zero was lost. I could not get the scope to hold a vertical zero for more than a couple rounds. I sent both of those scopes in for repair, both came back with a "inspected and repaired" slip in a few weeks. I can't fault the customer service, I just hate having to use it. All my MK5's have been rehomed. I went to the 4-16 ATACR next, and it's just too **** heavy, which I could live with if I didn't have to adjust the ocular lens cover ever time I changed power. The rotating eyepiece is dumb, they need to change that. So on to the NX8 2.5-20. I'm firmly in the camp that it's just hard to get behind. The eye box isn't for me. It's a hard scope to mount too, being short with a 50mm front end, so maybe that's it. So I moved on to the NX8 4-32x50, and it's been the best compromise I can find. No eye box issues, glass is great, turrets are great (if only the elevation turret locked) and they are tough as hell. My only complaints are the illumination system is ok at best, and for some reason they didn't give yardage markings on the parallax adjustment. Otherwise it seems to fit the bill pretty **** good. Sorry for the long winded answer, hope this helps a little.

I should add, to be fair, that my hunting partner runs two MK5's, one of my old ones actually, and hasn't had a single issue. I do tell him it's because he is such a sh!ty shot he wouldn't know if he lost zero or not.
Thank you for taking the time to write that up. Great information and pretty much exactly what I have summized from most NX8 owners regarding both models. My MK5's have been exceptionally well at tracking and holding zero thankfully, but I run my gear pretty hard in the mountains and like the idea of nighforces reputation as well as the extra magnification. And hahaha gotta love the digs on the friends.

I like my NX8 4-32. Went through the exact scenario you and so many of use go through. Steered clear of the 2x because of eyebox reports.

The NX8 is touchier than the ATACR, but I don't feel like it's a deal breaker. If anything, it forces you to have good cheek weld. Easier on a bench than on a mountain side.

That said, nothing is infallible. My elevation turret set screw loosed up on my last elk hunt and really screwed me up when it came time to shoot. Luckily it was a close shot. Good reason to mark everything with reference dots so you can tell when something isn't right.

NX8 4-32 is my go-to as well. It is a lot of scope for the money. Eye box can be finicky at high magnification, but I don't shoot at full magnification typically anyway… mainly use to identify target hits.
I still have one 2.5-20, but prefer the 4-32.

Hey, folks -

I have been on the search for my favorite optic the last few years, including the likes of the zeiss V6, MK5 5-25, MK5 3.6-18, NX8 2.5-20, etc

So far, the MK5 3.6-18 has been the clear winner in optical performance, shootability, turret system, footprint, weight, etc.

I REALLY wanted to like my NX8 2.5-20 but could not get over how awful the eyebox was, the touchy unrefefenced parallax, and felt the light transmission wasn't very good. I have heard/read the eye box and parralax issue are often exclusive to the 2.5–20 and that the 4-32 is better.

Can some owners offer me an objective review of western hunting with their 4-32 NX8's and possibly compare your experience to the MK5's?
I run 3 of them and no complaints. I cannot comment on the MK5, as I have not owned one. However there is a lot of negative reviews (here and elsewhere) for the Leupold. AS others have said it is annoying that the paralax is not marked on the NX8, but not a deal killer for me. The pluses far outweigh any negatives.

PH