Number of moa on leoupold scope

TCFELK2

Picked up a older loeupold scope v 111 6 x 20 want to put on a savage varmit 24 in barrel in 6.5 creedmore...will their be enough moa to shoot out to 1000 yds...would appreciate any good info...thx

you will most likely need to mount a rail type base with some MOA (15-20) built into it to shoot to 1,000 yards. I would recommend giving Leupold CS a call and asking them how much vertical adjustment your specific scope has.

From an optics SME ...

Even though the scope adjustment range may be large enough to get to 1,000 yds, you should use a 20 moa base. That's because off-axis optical aberrations that degrade resolution increase with incidence angle. You should set up your rifle so that the incidence angle is minimized for long distance shots (where resolution matters most).

Assume the base is within +/-10 moa of alignment with the rifle bore. Let's also assume your bullet drops no more than 30 moa at 1,000 yds, and you like to zero your rifle at 100 yds. With a standard base, you would need up to -40 moa of adjustment to get to 1,000 yds. That means you need a total 80 moa of adjustment.

With a 20 moa base you would need up to -20 moa to get to 1,000 yds, but up to 26 moa to get to a 100 yd zero (worse case boresight alignment in each case). That means you need a total 52 moa of adjustment. With a 20 moa base, however, the incidence angle at 1,000 yds is 20 moa less, so the image will have less blur.

Just crank the elevation turret from one extreme to the other and count MOA. The rated MOA travel could be more or less than your actual scope.

Hard to guess for sure where your actual fired 100yd zero will put you in the scope but if you find your scope has 65moa total and you need 30 MOA elevation you better get a 15 or 20 MOA base.

I have used Leupold MK4, NightForce and BadgerOrdnance bases, I have an EGW 20moa riser on my AR and have heard good things about their(EGW) bolt gun bases.

BadgerOrdnance is the nicest I have used as far as machine work, Leupold was the worst but the all worked like they were suppose to.

Midway has EGW rails on sale right now.:)
I shoot a custom 6.5 Creedmoor with a 26" tube. I'm getting 2950FPS with a 129gr Nosler ABLR(.553BC) .5moa load. With a 250yd zero I get to 1000yds with a 22.75MOA adjustment. I use a 20moa rail and Leupold VX3 4.5x14 LR(30mm tube,side focus). A 100yd zero would be 24.75moa. The 250yd zero and 22.75moa adjustment is verified, the 100yd zero 24.75moa adjustment is APP run.

Scott

I have a few regular and HD EGWs and have been very pleased with them. Whichever base/rail you decide, bed it.

https://youtu.be/d6RopWI0-GE?t=1

Cheers!

Ed
What he said!!!^^^
Also, counting clicks sometimes doesn't give you total travel. Some scopes turrets will still turn when the cross hairs have stopped moving. I would get a tall target and first do a box test, then once you determined the scope tracks well, dial 35 minutes from a 100 yard zero and see if you hit 35 minutes down on the target. If so, you're good for 1000 yards with most 6.5 Creedmoor loads. Most of my scopes have 30 mils of travel, but I still add a 20 MOA rail for reasons that FEENIX posted quoting Bruce Ventura....

What he said!!!^^^
Also, counting clicks sometimes doesn't give you total travel. Some scopes turrets will still turn when the cross hairs have stopped moving. ..

At which point that scope is thrown away or sold or mounted on a 22lr, not a scope I would use for dialing drops for long range.

The 66575 6.5-20x50 LRT scope has 77 minutes of elevation travel. A dead flat base will get you there easy. Using Hornady 140 A-Max at 2800 fps w/100 yard zero Sierra Infinity says you will only need 28.5 minutes of the 38 available up. You will still be looking through the sweet spot. Leupolds don't really have this issue otherwise with a 20 MOA base the picture would be fuzzy at 100 yards which it never is. I use 20 MOA bases on most of my medium range or 1000 yard rifles. I have a 30 minute base on my Lapua and the picture is fine with the erector pinned to the very bottom at 100 yards.

You can use Talley Light Weight rings all the way up to 6 screw Night Force Rings on a steel Night Force base. For this application I like the Talley Pic rail with Leupold MK 4 medium rings. I use a ton of these scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.