NTX ??

Longcruise

Curious if anyone has tried the Hornady NTX bullets. They are said (by Hornady 😀 ) to be both deadly and fur friendly. Wondering what the real world thinks.

Last year the only hornet ammo I found was 15.5 grain ntx and ended up loading some 24 grain 204 ruger pills. Didn't get to shoot anything coyote size with them, but a friend's son used my hornet to shoot a fox last winter, he didn't complain but he's only 16 and was stepping up from a 17 hmr.

Coming from fast twist bigger bore rifles, the wind effect has taken some getting used to. Shot quite a few in some odd swirling wind that we get on the beaches we hunt, solid case for weight and bc....

In calm spring morning at squeaks.... oh yeah they will be fun.

Today I tested an NTX load in a Tikka T3 Lite. 35 grain propelled by Xterminator. While typically my "internet groups" are not that great but these grouped better than any previous loads in this gun at five shots just a hair an inch and chronoed at 3916.

Also ran a few groups with Xterminator and the 45 grain Lehigh Controlled Chaos. These grouped jus a hair larger than the NTX but still under an inch and ran 3675 fps.

I'm with you on the wind issue. Some of my coyote areas are prone to blowing. Even though I'm not often taking many long shots 20 -.25 MPH winds can take a toll.

Last edited:
Yeah it's a bit of "if you give a mouse a cookie" the hornet was bought as I had some situations where the 17 wsm wasn't enough, then bought the 204 when the 17 got pushed around more than I'd expected.

I know I'm gonna load mine up for calmer day spring squirrels as they shot well in both guns. Velocity is fun for splatter to about 300 yards.

Did a lot of coyote hunting on the edge of sage rolling hulls in wind. Ended up settling on a 300 wsm with a 28 inch barrel and 168s over a max load of 4350. Not easy on fur but it was cull hunts before cheap reliable turrets and rangefinders. Fur friendly has been a tough transition....

Curious if anyone has tried the Hornady NTX bullets. They are said (by Hornady 😀 ) to be both deadly and fur friendly. Wondering what the real world thinks.
Great round in my 204, Hornady 24gr NTX, at 4400fps will smoke anything DRT, from gh's to coyotes, haven't shot it further yet it's all I basically use.

Recent Posts