Not the first time... 7mm Rem Mag - issues with ELD-X 175gr.

lovec_1

Hi guys, hereby I'm asking for any help.
Here is the story: I shoot older Sako rifle, it has 24.5" long factory varmint barrel with 8.66" twist. Last two seasons I've shot Berger Hybrid 180gr. very successfully. But I love to try always something new and different. So I bought two boxes of Hornady ELD-X 175gr. Also have brand new Sako cases with measured capacity 87.7gr of water - little bit bigger then usual.

First attempt: bullet seated 0,02" off the lands, five loads with Norma MRP-2 from 68.0 up to 70.0gr., velocities between 2877-2985 fps. Accuracy - terrible. At 300 meters I got wild groups around 5 to 8 inches. Useless.

Second attempt: I was told to try bigger jump. So I prepared five loads with 0.39"-0.59"-0.79"-0.98"-0.118" jump. Loaded with reduced amount 66.5gr. of Norma MRP-2. Best 5-shot group at 300 meters measured roughly 4.5"-5". Again nothing world-shattering.

Third attempt: Tried more jump. Also a less jump, closer to the lands. So this time jumped 0.004"-0.008"-0.118"-0.138"-0.157". Loaded with 65.0 gr. of H1000 and with 66.0 gr. of Norma MRP-2. No luck again except one load.
Three shots at 300 meters, load of 65.0gr H1000 jumped 0.157" gave me unbelievable group of 0.90". Very happy with it but it's terribly slow, only around 2690 fps.

After this I tried faster loads with 0.157" jump. I've loaded again H1000, Retumbo and Reload Swiss RS62 (similar to Reloader 16). I got higher velocities but again nothing worked. Holes spreaded all over the target, no grouping.

So the question is - I never give up - where would you start again after all this? Any advice, criticism or idea is highly appreciated.

Thx.

I've heard others say they couldn't get very small groups with the ELD-X. I tried 6mm ELD-X and could not get small group. I would suggest trying a different bullet.

Either get 'happy' with the lower velocity load that was accurate or move on to a different bullet. Guns are weird - they all tend to have a 'favorite' bullet. Sometimes you have to try a few things to find what it likes. You've done good work trying to get the ELD-X to shoot and...YOU DID! But you want more speed. Quit chasing your tail. You caught it but weren't happy. New bullet time.

I have had a similar situation, but not.
I tried to shoot several rifles with SMK bullets in 180 grain weights and for my
.30-06 I always had stellar accuracy and performance downrange.
Thinking I'd mix it up a bit I tried some Hornady projos (no idea why...I had excellent results prior) and, GOOD LORDY!!
Talk about lousy "patterns!!"
PATTERNS and NOT Groups.
Seems I would be lucky to hit the side of a barn.
From the INSIDE!
No amount of experimenting with other powders, primers, placed off the lands, etc., but that dog wouldn't hunt.
Went back to the SMK projos and my rifle returned to shooting like a house afire.
We are talking 5-Shot, 3/8" groups at 100 yards easy from a Winchester Model 70 with a modest weight barrel. A good hunting and not a bench gun whatsoever.
I read that there are relationships in firearms that plain defy explanation and this is one.
However....
I tried the same experiment with both brands using my Remington 700 in .308 with a 168 grain pellet and experienced the SAME phenomenon.
WHAT THE SAME HILL?!?
I have NO problems with Hornady products whatsoever and used their pistol projos to great success when competing in IPSC, etc., taking home a few trophies in my (ancient) category.
I learned that the claim that each gun can be a finicky Mistress with a mind of her own sometimes is true. Maybe not for everyone but that's MY story and I'm sticking to it.
That said, YMMV.
In closing, you have a tiger by the tail and I wouldn't give up.
The journey is half the fun and you may learn your rifle needs just a change in twist and you could end up closer the that elusive One-Hole-Group we all seek.
Good Luck and.....
Overnout

I have shot that bullet out of 7 customs and 3 factory rifles. In calibers ranging from 280 ackley to 28 Nosler. The 175 eldx could be the most inconsistent bullet on the planet. Factory guns struggle to shoot under an inch, and only two of the customs shot them under 1/2 inch. Even with the customs there is always a flyer. All of these ten guns will shoot Bergers, Sierra match kings, and Nosler accubonds sub-1/2 inch. If you weight sort a box of 100 eldx's you will usually have 7-9 different weights. Then if you measure ogive to base you'll get 5-6 more groups of bullets. I called Hornady on both the 175 eldx and the 180 eldm. Their tech said they were designed for 2800 fps. That being said they didn't shot well out of two 280 ackley's at 2850.

I've experienced the same results as many others have reported. Ill raise my hand to falling for the Hornady hype when these bullets first hit the market. Bought and tried both the 162's and 175's.
The 162's after using nearly the entire box for development would get just under a 1" average (@ 100yds). The 175's were just flat out bad and I gave away a more than half full box with a warning of my results.
The rifle is a full custom M700 that will shoot the 175 Berger Elite and 160 Accubond into sub half MOA groups with ease.
I had the same experience with the 200gr ELD-X in my 300WM, switched to the Berger 215 Hybrid and haven't looked back!

Either get 'happy' with the lower velocity load that was accurate or move on to a different bullet. Guns are weird - they all tend to have a 'favorite' bullet. Sometimes you have to try a few things to find what it likes. You've done good work trying to get the ELD-X to shoot and...YOU DID! But you want more speed. Quit chasing your tail. You caught it but weren't happy. New bullet time.
Well said!

Proving once more that...every rifle is it's own entity. A person could have two Rem 700s in 7mm RM and one loves the ELD-X and the other hates it, but loved the ELD-M. We just don't know until we start running bullets down the barrel and into targets.

I think the frustration is that we think as reloaders, if we find just the right combo of things, we should be able to get anything to shoot pretty well. And - ironically - the OP did that! But apparently not enough speed to satisfy. Sometimes you over-achieve and still feel it wasn't 'good' enough. Such is life.

Hi guys, hereby I'm asking for any help.
Here is the story: I shoot older Sako rifle, it has 24.5" long factory varmint barrel with 8.66" twist. Last two seasons I've shot Berger Hybrid 180gr. very successfully. But I love to try always something new and different. So I bought two boxes of Hornady ELD-X 175gr. Also have brand new Sako cases with measured capacity 87.7gr of water - little bit bigger then usual.

First attempt: bullet seated 0,02" off the lands, five loads with Norma MRP-2 from 68.0 up to 70.0gr., velocities between 2877-2985 fps. Accuracy - terrible. At 300 meters I got wild groups around 5 to 8 inches. Useless.

Second attempt: I was told to try bigger jump. So I prepared five loads with 0.39"-0.59"-0.79"-0.98"-0.118" jump. Loaded with reduced amount 66.5gr. of Norma MRP-2. Best 5-shot group at 300 meters measured roughly 4.5"-5". Again nothing world-shattering.

Third attempt: Tried more jump. Also a less jump, closer to the lands. So this time jumped 0.004"-0.008"-0.118"-0.138"-0.157". Loaded with 65.0 gr. of H1000 and with 66.0 gr. of Norma MRP-2. No luck again except one load.
Three shots at 300 meters, load of 65.0gr H1000 jumped 0.157" gave me unbelievable group of 0.90". Very happy with it but it's terribly slow, only around 2690 fps.

After this I tried faster loads with 0.157" jump. I've loaded again H1000, Retumbo and Reload Swiss RS62 (similar to Reloader 16). I got higher velocities but again nothing worked. Holes spreaded all over the target, no grouping.

So the question is - I never give up - where would you start again after all this? Any advice, criticism or idea is highly appreciated.

Thx.
If you are pulling 2690 with a 175 gr.... what's wrong with that? Very decent speed for 7mm 175. Not sure you can get much faster....stick with it. Sub MOA is Sub MOA. Enjoy the experience but I would highly recommend you don't get caught like I did...after getting the long range fever which has become so highly contagious...my shooting life has never been the same i.e. nothing is ever good enough. I'm sure you didn't pick your older Sako deliberately to shoot 1000 yrds. I would Mark down this load as a success and move to something a little lighter if you want faster and the new load might give you .5 or better. One last question... have you and this gun ever shot a .5 or better? It might be all this gun is capable of....just food for thought!

I had a similar experience with the 175 ablr in my 28 inch proof 28 Nosler.
Wouldn't shoot under 1.5 inches.
First group with 195 Berger went around half inch, go figure.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.