Not sure I’m buying into the hype

D5F204D7-48DC-4A7A-897A-C86CC22AD261.jpeg

When we take the horses out for a ride in local state forest, the trailhead is next to a shooting range. Seems at 9am the shooting starts and it can be a lot and the trail runs fairly close to the range, borders their property. Horses aren't bothered, but I guess if all of them had suppressors it wouldn't be as loud, so that may be a benefit. And other people in a more urban area that's near shooting or hunting wouldn't be annoyed by loud gunshots. When I shoot at game it's usually dead, loud noise or not, so I don't care if they are scared by the bang. And I target shoot somewhere remote on my own so nobody is around. No suppressor for me.

I forgot my ear protection once while checking zero on my 26" barrel .30-06. Sure wish I had a suppressor on that day. The only shots I have actually registered in shooting at game was when I was too close to the pickup. I don't 'hear' them otherwise. Lately I have been rifle and shotgun hunting while wearing electronic muffs. Not great but cheaper than a suppressor.

Suppressors are a tool, accessory. Just like anything else. They can be a PITA or a godsend depending on your needs. We went years without them. They aren't absolutely necessary and can complicate things. Really just a overpriced muffler.

I just don't know anyone who bought just one…. That alone should tell you there is "something" there.

I'd make one to cut down on the costs. Cheaper than hearing aids. But I cannot allocate the funds to that right now. Other things take priority and the damage is already done.

It's worth it. Especially when using comparing it to a brake and the blast. Mine all have Qd type brakes incorporated into them. I run Surefire SOCOMS, 300 SOCOM and 260TI SOCOM, and a YHM Resonator. They're a great tool IMO. Wife and kids enjoy shooting so much more with them. Shop around as deals can be found. I got my SOCOM 260TI for $428 on clearance.

It's not for everyone. I'd like to have one, or make one. Functional and a fun project!

I would love to be able to have a suppressor or 2. However; the political commissars who are running the once-great state of Calif, say NO. They have totally bought into the movie idea of the "silencer". So, until the political map of this state changes radically, I will have to do without. I'm really sure the fellow shooter at my range of choice would also like me to have one, especially when "big thunder" my 338 LM comes out to play.

The $200 Tax Stamp is my stopping point. I am on a few trust and still wear. Super sonic crack is still bothersome. Subsonic is nice. Primer ignition is quiet but can be annoying when you send quite a few rounds down.

I know, I'm a jerk. Sorry. A "can" is another word for suppressor. Stay away from the cans!

Recent Posts