Not long range savage model 99 308 win load suggestions

smallbutfierce

I inherited a savage 99 in 308 win a few years back and decided to take it out of retirement for the upcoming deer season. Anyone else have one of these and what are you shooting? I have a bunch of 180 sst's that my bolt action doesn't seem to like, but I know they crush deer pretty well. Any special considerations I should take into account when loading for a rifle like this? Its pretty old(1962) and I don't want to push it, but I would like to have it as a "grab and go" gun for brush hunting this fall. I love how well it shoots off-hand. Thanks in advance!

I think that you have a 300 sav and not a 308!
If it is in fact a 300 sav I would not go above 40.0grn IMR4064 for a 150 grn bullet. The 300 sav uses the 308win brass that is trimmed down around 25thou and the bullet is seated a bit deeper witch severly reduces its case capacity. A lot of old timmers would use 308 win brass and trim it down to 300 sav length. CHECK IT TO BE SURE!
Be safe, be sure.

I agree with g0rd0. I have owned a few of the 99's and love them. What a neat rifle to be handed down. Most common chambering seemed to be in 300 Savage. I would be for checking this over close and let us know. One chambered in .308 WIN would be a rare one and would have some cool factor too.

Jeff

Thanks guys. It is definitely a 308 win. I think its 1964 not 62, and its a feather weight model.

Attachments

• IMG_20130930_114826_305.jpg
    IMG_20130930_114826_305.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_20130930_114810_104.jpg
    IMG_20130930_114810_104.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 800
I agree with g0rd0. I have owned a few of the 99's and love them. What a neat rifle to be handed down. Most common chambering seemed to be in 300 Savage. I would be for checking this over close and let us know. One chambered in .308 WIN would be a rare one and would have some cool factor too.

Jeff

they did the 99 in .308 Win. Most I've seen use the regular box magazine. If you have the rotary magazine, the that will limit your over all length. Best bullets are probably 150 grains or less. I'd make a post on the Savage Shooters web site as they have a "99" forum.

What you have is a treasure
gary

You are very lucky to be handed down such a great and unique rifle. Even has the old Weaver tip off scope mount so the open sights can still be used. Pretty darn nice keep sake with tons of character.

Jeff

I believe it is a rotary, with the indicator window on the left side. I always thought it was a sweet gun. It is going to be a "fair weather" hunter, for sure. I am hoping to find a similar year scope at an old gun shop to match up with it, since the one that is on it is questionable. I was planning on keeping everything standard length, and as simple as possible as far as the reloads go. If you guys think the 180's are too much I'll stop by the local gun store and see what they have for 150's. Thanks

I am hoping to find a similar year scope at an old gun shop to match up with it, since the one that is on it is questionable.

I was going to suggest that but didn't want to be negative.:)

An old steel tube weaver with those tip off mounts would be sweet. Maybe a fixed 6X.

Congrats on a great rifle.

Jeff

No, definitely not negative. lol It was falling apart when I got it, and I am not even sure I put it back together right. There is an old vintage gun guy near me that did an ffl transfer for me a while back. I asked if he had any used scopes I could put on my new gun to get me started and he pulled out a box of scopes, most of them were really old, and he only wanted $10 for any of them. I think I might be able to find something there.

nice rifle.
I wouldn't worry about going up to 45 grns IMR4064 with a 150 grn pill.
My only concern there may be the tip up mount. If you don't have accuracy change the mount first. That should be an excellent deer rifle.

I own two 99's chambered in .300 Savage. One is a 1943 model that came with the tang mounted flip up sight (missing!!). Been trying to lay my hands on a replacement rear sight for eons, and have missed two of them by minutes! The other rifle is a later model (mid 1950's I think), and have not had it out of the safe in years.

A year ago I ran across a factory built "presentation grade" one in .300. It was as new, and appeared to be unfired. The metal was all deeply engraved, and the wood was a beautifully finished oiled walnut. They had a $2500 price tag on it!! The dealer told me as I was walking out the door to bring him a $2,000 check, and it was mine. I mulled around for a couple weeks thinking about it, and a collector came in and bought it for the $2500 price tag!! Still crying about that one. 99's are a serious collectors item, and they pretty much have a cult following. You also might put Hi-Walls and Lo-Walls into that cult category as well. I know where a 99 chambered in .308 is, that's part of an estate. They guy that owned the rifle was a friend of mine, and I doubt he shot two hundred rounds thru it. He used it one week a year to shoot a moose in Canada. The stock has a two inch long scratch, but otherwise is mint. Easy to fix as it's not deep. I wish Savage would do another run of them chambered in .250 Savage, 7-08 & .260, and .300 and .308.
gary

P.S. that .308 in the 99 will shoot further than you think. At least 350 yards, and maybe 425 yards

Last edited:
Those tip off mounts remind me of a Mod 70 , pre 64 , heavy barrel 220 swift I once traded work for. It had a 6x steel tube weaver in the tip offs. The first time out with this rifle we were shooting aspirins taped with scotch tape in the center hole of some old 45 records. We could shoot the aspirin out and not with direct hits at 100 yards. We even got a few at 200. That is the only experience I have had with the weaver tip offs. But I could see where they could cause problems as well. I like them on this gun as they represent the era of this rifle. If they will hold decent accuracy it would be my choice to leave them.

I hope you keep us informed as to what scope you install and to how it shoots. This thread has re-kindled a lost love I have for these rifles. Even has me thinking I need one in 250-3000 for a scabbard carry rifle for a happenstance wolf encounter while riding in the hills pushing cattle around.

Thanks for sharing.
Jeff

I picked up an old k6, in new condition. Unfortunately I didn't take dimensions into consideration and it didn't clear the rear sight. I removed the sight temporarily, and it looks like it will work real nice for now. I will have to figure out a better combo if I want to utilize the tip off mounts.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.