Not enough clicks - scope not centered.

royinidaho

Installed a SS 16X on a 270 AM. Am zeroed at 300yds. 5 mils get me beyond 1000yds no problem. But I think its about time I transition into the clicking phase.

Problem: When zeroed the turret allows only 42 clicks to the upper limit. This is because the scope is not centered vertically. (way more clicks (~90) available in the down direction than the up direction(~40))

When I ordered the scope and mounts I "thought" I was ordering the Burris Sig rings but received Loopy's)

Even if I had the Burris I wouldn't know what to do with them anyway.

Any suggestions??

BTW, the old family custom is to strip the paper off of chewing gum wrappers and fold, place them under which ever ring base is necessary till you get where you wish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Please don't let me go there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Roy,

If you have a standard set of rings(turn in front and clamp style rear) look at the Leupold LR one piece base. It will get you another 20 moa and still allow you to use those same rings. That would give you more vertical.

Are you saying you only have 42 "clicks" or 42 "MOA"??? I have had several 16x SS and all have had more vertical then I ever would need, just curious why this one does not have that.

If your talking about clicks, 90 down and 40 up only gives you 32 1/2 moa of total vertical adjustment with the 1/4 moa per click set up. That sounds very limited for a SS scope. I think all the ones I have used have been in the 90 moa range of total vertical adjustment.

YOu may have a scope issue on your hands.

Kirby Allen(50)

Roy

I have a set of 30 mm signature rings that I believe are high and they were about two frog hairs too low for my FN action with the heavy barrel on it. They are twist in front and double windage screw rear type.

I offered them to Jimm for free once but if you need them I can probably get them in the mail by Friday. My action is just like yours and a little out of square the wrong way so I used up the 20MOA inserts. Kirby might have some inserts laying around if you want my rings.

Ok let's see if I can get my mind around this thing.

Depending on how the major graduations on the turrets are counted there are 8 full turns of 15 MOA each or at about 120 MOA.

I am zero'd @ 300 using, from bottom dead center on the turret, 5 full turns + 13.25 MOA or 88.25 MOA.

That leaves 3 turns + 1.75 MOA more room for elevation.

My chart says I need 4.5 MOA or 62 clicks (that's 4 full turns + 2 clicks) to zero @ 1000.

Thus I come up shy about 1 moa if all of these numbers balance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

This discussion may well be a primer on MOA........

bb why don't you just send me the scope & rings. You know, the one on Stripes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Roy

[ QUOTE ]
My chart says I need 4.5 MOA or 62 clicks

[/ QUOTE ]

4.5 Mils not MOA

A mil is about 3.6 MOA - I try hard not to fool with mils because I am easily confused by words that start with the same letter.

62 clicks will give you 15.5 MOA (there are a couple of digits on out there but I ignore them. Maybe a MOA is something like 1.047 inches or so at 100 yds)

You also should remember to give yourself about 3-5 MOA or inches at the top as free board so you do not shoot when the scope is turned to close to the top end of the adjustment.

Abinok made a good post on shims about two years ago. Basically every 0.001 inch of shim thickness under the rear base will give you one MOA. (different for a short action and a long action). Aluminum coke cans or beer cans can be cut with kitchen shears into shims. My experience was that about 0.02 was about all I could get under the rear and get tightened back down tight. If you have two piece bases then you need to be careful not to bind the scope. There are a couple of other posts on the subject.

Right now on the 240 Wby I am runing something like 10 MOA shim under the rear base and maybe 20-30 MOA in the inserts of the rings.

ABINOK

You definitely need the rings I have if they will fit your scope diameter and base style. Send me an email with your address and I will ship them.

Roy,

Last time I looked at my SS scopes they were all 1/4 moa per click set ups. Is yours differnt then that.

With a 1/4 moa click scope, 4.5 moas would come out to 18 clicks???

The SS have 15 moa per revolution so if you have three revolutions of clicks you have 45 moa or 180 clicks left of adjustment????

I can tell you for a fact, if you have that scope on my 270 AM, you will not need anything close to four full revolutions to get dead on at 1000 yards!!! I would say something more like 20 moa from a 100 yard zero to get you to 1000 yards or less to be honest. Thats 1 1/3 revolution on my SS scopes.

Let me know of the SS has changed or if I am missing something.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby/buffalobob

Sorry guys I screwed up in my unit analysis.

I got confused in the area of 15 MOA/Turn and .25 MOA/Click.

I made it way harder than I should have.

Actually its 16 MOA or 1 full turn + 4 clicks to get to 1K from a 300yd.

Thanks for your patience /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

If I wasn't so **** dumb I probably wouldn't be so **** happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.