Nosler Partition 160 gr.

dale1386

I was looking at the load data on the Nosler site today for 160 gr partition for 270WSM and i just need a little clarification on what I'm seeing. The Nosler data shows a recipe using Win. brass and WLRM primer using Reloder19 powder. Ok if I go to the Alliant powder site and look up reloder19 for 270wsm it doesn't show 160gr data only up to 150gr and the primer it list is CCI 200 (which I have plenty of) and would the recipe data be the same for Federal brass and 160 gr bullet?

RL19 is too temperature sensitive, IMO. For sure can see some pressure spikes with it in hot temps.

I would be looking at something in the burn rates from H4831sc, IMR4955, H1000 or IMR7977.

H1000 would be my first pick to test with 160 Partition and as mentioned below RL 26 would be great for this too.

Take Aim at Rifle Reloading Data | Hodgdon Reloading

The recipe would not be the same. You have a 150 grain bullet in one case and a 160 grain in the other. You would need to reduce the load for the 150 grain bullet to account for the heavier bullet.

+1 on the RL-19 comment. It sucks big time temp stability wise. There are much better alternatives. RL-26 for example. It is stable enough to use if you develop your loads near the same temps you expect to use them in. In my 270 WSM with 64.0 grains of RL-26 I'm running 150 grainers at 3,140 fps (26 inch barrel) with an ES of 5 and shooting 1.5" 3-shot groups at 200 yards. All in all pretty good performance.

+1 on the RL-19 comment. It sucks big time temp stability wise. There are much better alternatives. RL-26 for example. It is stable enough to use if you develop your loads near the same temps you expect to use them in.

Dont know why I didn't think to mention RL 26. It what I'm using in the 7 Rem Mag Sendero running a 140 Accubond from 26" barrel at 3,275fps with exceptional accuracy.

+1 on the RL 26 !!

Thanks for the reply MarkA...... good info because I wasn't dead set on using Reloder 19 I was just trying to find load data for what components I have on hand. Federal cases and CCI 200 primers. My loads will be hunting loads only with 200 yards max and most under a hundred. I had read that a heavy bullet would stabilize quicker in 270wsm is that correct? I'm not cercerned about speed either 2800 or 2900fps is fine.

The 160 grain partition is a very good bullet imo and I am interested in trying this with R 26 in my long winchester.I can find data for this suppose I will make my own .

Didn't know savage made that chambering with a 20"barrel. Is the muzzle blast an issue?.must be a handy rifle

Made in 2003 probably one of the first short mags. I hadn't even shot the gun yet just getting setup to roll my own ammo.

I will add that I'll be loading for 20" barrel savage 10.

Muzzle blast will be an issue in the 20" barrel, pretty ferocious really.

I would go to faster burn rate in 20" barrel to cut down on muzzle blast significantly!!

H4350 to H4831 is bout as slow a burn rate range as I would use in the short barrel.......

Muzzle blast will be an issue in the 20" barrel, pretty ferocious really.

I would go to faster burn rate in 20" barrel to cut down on muzzle blast significantly!!

H4350 to H4831 is bout as slow a burn rate range as I would use in the short barrel.......

With a 20" barrel how do you think H380 would work? H4350 better?

I have used these bullets with a 270 win and a 19"barrel and have not required faster burning powder for complete combustion..full loads and IMR and H4831.Thinking seriously about reloder.26 too. The wsm must bark pretty good with the extra powder though.What does it matter cannot hear anyways.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.