Nosler m48 Patriot or custom build

NattyBumppo

Hey guys

So i was pretty set on building a custom rifle based on a stiller predator action and chambered in 30-06 for my do it all go to hunting rifle. However as i was looking around my local gun store yesterday i had the chance to handle Nosler's patriot rifle in 30-06. It felt okay in my hands and at 7 pounds it is right around what I'm looking for in do it all rifle.
As I am trying to watch my expenditure i thought this might be a good alternative to the cost of a full custom build. But i really know nothing about this rifle and all ive seen online are reviews of the new nosler cartridge and not of their new rifle. i would like a rifle to be close to 1/2 MOA.

So i would like to know your opinion, should i save up for a custom build or is the Nosler patriot up to the task of giving me the accuracy i want in a lighter hunting rifle? any first hand experience's with a Nosler Patriot would also be appreciated.

thanks

Ean,

Welcome to LRH. Lots of good resources on this forum.

The reviews of Nosler rifles that I've seen have been good, but I don't recall seeing 1/2 MOA from factory ammo. If I liked them the rifle, I would not hesitate to buy one. As with every rifle I buy, I would plan to tinker with the rifle and handloads until I got it shooting the way I wanted. A custom rifle will not require tinkering, but you still may need to handload ammo to realize the full accuracy potential of a lightweight rifle.

Good luck.

Bruce,

Thanks for the reply and i cant wait to learn from all the members on this board.

Unfortunately time restraints have kept me from hand loading yet but i hope to start soon. I have had good luck with FGGM in my 308 which is hovering right around the 1/2 MOA area. That rifle is just a Remington that i had bedded into a B&C stock. I'm hoping that this next rifle will provide similar results as i plan on spending much more on this than i have on rifles in the past.

I'm glad that you have seen positive results with nosler rifles. It's making me think that this may be a better option as it would be more economical.

Anymore opinions would still be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.