Nosler Custom Competition

I haven't shot any big game with these bullets but I will say that they expand better than the Match Kings on small stuff like cats and dogs (feral) , they look to be the same profile as the match king but I'm pretty sure that the jackets are J4 which is a bit thinner than the match kings.

I would say that they would work good I deer at least as good as the match king or A-max

I have shot 2 mule deer with 168 gr nosler cc j4 bullets. I was not impressed with the results but in all fairness I shot a little farther back than I should have (rear liver, diaphragm, forward gut area) so the deer walked for quite a distance and a follow up shot was required.

I think that if you take your time and shoot within your skill zone (the basis of lrh) the bullets would make quick work of the deers pumphouse and give similar results to the smk. My problem was taking the shot with a little too much haste. Not much, but at almost 500 yards small things make a big difference.

The only thing I've shot with the 168 NCC besides paper was a pesky neighbor cat. I was astonished at the expansion of a 130 yard neck shot... it resemble a varmint bullet. This was out of a .308 @ ~2700fps. I fully agree with JDJones in that they seem to be rather thinner jacketed than Matchkings.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.